1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVersity Server Issues

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by chunkydyt, Mar 9, 2011.

1. chunkydyt

chunkydyt Member

Well. I hope someone will be kind enough to read through my description of problems and can give me some suggestions and such to help. Usually forums are a dead end for me.

I decided to install TVersity again so I can stream my media to my Xbox360 so I would be able to view them on my CRT TV (yes I still have one) since I now have a video card with DVI and HDMI outs only. Now here's where I'll probably get a bit confusing. I currently have my Xbox360 (with a crossover cable) plugged into the back of my PC (where TVersity is installed) with my wireless internet connection is being shared with that port. (so Wireless Internet -> PC (TVersity) -> XBox360) I had TVersity working without a hitch, no problems what so ever, even though I still had Vuze media server running and Windows Media Server still running on top of TVersity.

All of a sudden my Xbox360 is telling me that it is unable to 'play the content'. So, I come to my computer to view the issue and nothing seems wrong. I try to "Restart Sharing". Even longer story short, I'm stuck here with the service in my task manager saying "TVersityMediaServer... Starting..." If I try to stop it, Task Manager tells me that "Access is Denied" I've tried uninstalling and deleting all traces of the program followed by re installation with no prevail. I've even checked my Firewall for the correct unblock of ports.

Someone Please help me. This is really starting to get annoying. I really don't know what else I can do short of wiping my hard drive and starting from scratch again. I really would like to be able to use this without any more problems.

Thank you in advance to whomever suggests any advice.
    -Chunkeydelight

2. B0XER

B0XER Member

I honestly don't know much about this program setup yet as I'm just now downloading it... but I would imagine just like anything you can kill it the same way. I'd restart your PC and start tapping F8 right when it starts (before windows logo screen or its too late & gotta start over). When you get the Windows Version Options menu select Safe Mode (or Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt). You wont be able to access the internet during this instance so a 2nd pc or smartphone is nice. So follow below...

1. Restart PC, tap F8 at startup and select "Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt".
    2. Go to START > RUN > type in "cmd" & hit enter.
    3. In the command prompt that just opened make sure you're on your root drive (should be C:\..blahblah.. and type in "tasklist" & hit enter. This will populate a list of everything that is currently running on your PC (Note it includes the Process ID [PID] which is the unique number identifying that process exclusively, always. Look thru that carefully and see if you see the program in there... it may be abbreviated so look well. Also keep in mind I noticed there are several supporting programs that you may have had to download as well to get this thing to work so look for ANY of those too.
    4. If its not in there then we're in business. Just minimize your black screen and go to START > CONTROL PANEL > ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS. (This folder may not be visible by default or you may have it down a different path. If you cant find it then just do a Find or Search for "ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS", it should come up. If not then you your settings are telling windows to hide it so you dont screw with it. You can easily go to the setting that allows you to change how/if its displayed. I think its in the Start Menu Properties or maybe Folder Options but just Google how to enable it (again you cant get online so another internet source will be needed temporarily). Either way find it and open the folder.
    5. Go to SERVICES. This is a list of all the 'services' that are either running or setup to run on a schedule on your machine. Don't mess with stuff unless you know what you're doing. Look for the service relating to this problem program (or again any other program you downloaded to make this work). When you find it in the list double click it.
    4. Now read the description of the service... (Does it sound like its the right one?). If yes then then we're going to confirm or change 3 settings... Service Status: we want it to say "Not Running" or "Stopped. To do this go to Startup Type and change it to DISABLED. Last, hit the STOP button to stop it. We're done with it so hit OK or SAVE or CLOSE blah blah.
    5. Now look well one last time for any other Service that might be related to it or accessing it in order to function. (jumping back real quick, that last screen we were in should have several tabs on the top... one of them being Dependancies. If you click it you can see what if any programs need to access it in order to function correctly. This could give you clues to related services names).
    6. If nothing else then save and close Services and the ADMIN folder. You can also close COMMAND PROMPT or type "exit", if you havent done so already.
    7. Once all is closed hit "CTRL + ALT + DEL" and select Task Manager. Look under the Applications tab & Processes tab for any of those programs by chance still running. If you do find it click it once then while still hovering over it "RIGHT-CLICK" and select "End Process"... you may need to do this a few times to the same one,...eventually you'll get the warning screen etc. just click "OK" or "YES" on those warning screens.
    8. One last thing, run through all the places where you think the program was located before and delete/uninstall anything remaining. Manually delete any leftover setup folders, shortcuts or logs that didn't get wiped.
    9. Make sure everything is closed and Restart your PC as normal. Everything should be gone now completely. If that doesnt work then try something else. Its just a matter or running through the checklist before one of them works and it deletes. Without knowing anything about this program though thats the most likely method I'd try 1st. Good luck.

3. TriXium

TriXium Member

TVersity seems to be very 'glitchy' lately, I recently moved and had to change ISP and when it came to running TVersity, I couldn't find a media server in sight!!! really really annoying because it worked perfectly before.
    I actually upgraded to the newer version and it seemed to work, well thats what I thought.
    Every now n then it(PS3) either diconnects from media server, so then I after hit restart sharing, or it will disconnect and then wont find anything at all or it just wont find anything at all, ANYTIME! its just happend before writing this post n im now pissed off!!
    Usually a quick reboot of my router usually kicks it back into touch but if niether of them work for you mate or you have already tried them, then I don't know.
    TVersity seems to be very tempromental lately.