1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encoding with MeGUI

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by mtouset, Feb 19, 2010.

1. mtouset

mtouset Member

Thanks to ODIN24, I have been able to sucessfully make Blu Ray backups. My computer system consists of and good motherboad that accomodate the latest Intel i7 oricessor and a Win7 OS. My main issue is with the MeGUI "2nd pass". MeGUI process the 1st pass in approximate 1.5 hrs, speed of light as far as I"m concerned. However, the 2nd pass is taking approx 10 hrs. This disparity seems very odd to me and I'm wondering if anyone has a reason, or better yet, a solution to cutting the encoding time to something more reasonable.

2. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Hey mtouset..

On my quad core 1st pass takes about 4 hours and the second pass is around 16 hours. So your 1.5/10 could very well be normal. If you are encoding to BD25 you could probably use Ryu77's fastest profile... I forget what it is called.

3. mtouset

mtouset Member

Thanks. I'll not concern myself with the length of time then. I alreeady use Ryu77's good quality profile...you mean he hhe generated a faster one than that?

4. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Yeah, there is a "faster" profile called Standard. You may want to consult with him before suing it. I believe the source has to be in good condition, since you are using Blu-ray as the source then you should be OK... plus compression has to be at a minimum, since you use BD-R this should be OK too.

5. mtouset

mtouset Member

I'm not sure how to consult with RYU77, but I trust that you are comfortable that I wouldn't have any trouble using RYU77's standard profile. It should be mixed in with all of RYU77's BD profiles, right.

Additionally, I would like to read some feeback from anyone that has used BitStreamExtractor which appears to be a GUI for EAC3to? Not that I'm uncomfortable with using EAC3to on the command line. It works superbly.

6. odin24

odin24 Regular member

Well, I guess on your next BD re-encode to BD-R I suggest you try using his Standard Profile, and see for yourself if the results are satisfactory.

In regards to contacting Ryu77, just reply on one of his threads, he should reply.

About BitStreamExtractor... I have never heard of it, do you mean MeGUI's HD Stream Extractor?

7. mtouset

mtouset Member

I thought it was bitstreamextractor to be used in conjuction with EAC3to. I downloaded it but have not tried it yet. one can only invoke it if you save it to the EAC3to folder. I'm too comfortable, at this point, with EAC3to on the command line. I probably will try it soon...I like GUI apps.

8. Ogilvie

Ogilvie Guest

I have never used MeGui. I use BDrebuilder for Backing up BD discs to DVD9 and the whole process takes about 4 hours using the default profile. Looks fantastic on my 50" 1080P Plasma You can see my system specs below.

I dont know how helpful that is, when I am using a different program, but its still X264 encoding.

9. mtouset

mtouset Member

Ogilvie, I have a similiar system and have used BD Rebuilder before, but have not been totally satisfied with the heavy compression of the "movie only" file. Nontheless, as long as you are satisfied with BD Rebuilder, that's what counts. So go forth and conquer and be happy.

10. Ogilvie

Ogilvie Guest

Thanks mtouset. (seriously in a totally non smartarse way) Good Attitude. To each, their own.

11. mtouset

mtouset Member

I recently completed a movie encode for the movie "Dead Snow" using Megui RYU77 standard profile. While the 2nd pass took just under 7 hrs to complete, I'm not sure yet whether I can attribute the reduction in processing time to RYU77's standard profile. I would like to believe that it is the case, but I'll have to do more homework on this. Nontheless, thank Odin24 for the recommendation.