1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with multiAVCHD/converting .mkv to blu-ray

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by pauls156, Jul 23, 2010.

1. pauls156

pauls156 Member

Hey all - need help converting .mkv files to a BD-R using multiAVCHD. I've tried using the forum on that site but the person who created the software is poor at communication, in my opinion, and I heard this is a really helpful site, so I thought I'd ask here.

Basically, any time I have an .mkv file, either in 720p or 1080p, and the .mkv file is in the correct resolution for 720p or 1080p, when I convert it to a blu-ray disc using multiAVCHD, when it is finished burning, there is lots of pixelation in the video. However, if I click the "Transcode" option and Uncrop my video to, say, 1920X1080, even though the .mkv file is at this resolution, it basically completely rebuilds the .mkv file to the exact same resolution, but it plays perfectly fine. Obviously, this takes quite some time and I was wondering which settings exactly I need to watch out for to not cause this problem, and what these settings need to be at.

For example, I am trying to convert thirteen 720p TV show episodes to a blu-ray disc. They are all in the 720p resolution. However, the video turns out blotchy and pixelated. Attached is a log for just one of the episodes. If someone could tell me what exactly I need to tweak, or in general what I should watch out for to avoid this problem, I would appreciated it. Here's the log:

Complete name : (left this out purposely)
    Format : Matroska
    File size : 1.46 GiB
    Duration : 54mn 15s
    Overall bit rate : 3 846 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2010-01-23 06:09:00
    Writing application : mkvmerge v2.4.0 ('Fumbling Towards Ecstasy') built on Nov 7 2008 17:24:23
    Writing library : libebml v0.7.8 + libmatroska v0.8.1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration : 54mn 12s
    Bit rate : 3 301 Kbps
    Nominal bit rate : 3 459 Kbps
    Width : 1 280 pixels
    Height : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16/9
    Frame rate : 23.976 fps
    Resolution : 24 bits
    Colorimetry : 4:2:0
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.157
    Writing library : x264 core 80 r1376 3feaec2
    Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:-2:-1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3459 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Language : English
    Format : AC-3
    Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
    Codec ID : A_AC3
    Duration : 54mn 15s
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 384 Kbps
    Channel(s) : 6 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L C R, Rear: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz

A quick response would be hugely appreciated. Thanks.

2. 13echo4

13echo4 Regular member

I have'nt used multiAVCHD. I think you would get the results you want by using tsmuxer and megui ang avisynth. Yea its more than just a click and done deal But you can tailor your projects to what you want.
    What you'll do is open you mkv file in tsmuxer and demux into m2ts file. Then you will go to megui and open your m2ts file in avisynth there you can resize your resolution or crop or make boarders. Whatever you desire or need to become bluray compliant. Then you will choose what profile and bitrate "if shrinking is needed". Then megui will renecode the file. When its finished you want to open your rencoded file in tsmuxer. You'll remuxe the audio and subs if any into a bluray disc. You then can use say imgburn to burn the disc.