1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intel vs. ASUS P55 Mobo

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by k7vc, Oct 10, 2009.

1. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I just built an medium-class system based on an Intel P45 mobo and Q9650 processor. The Intel DP45SG mobo performed flawlessly, despite a lot of very helpful and knowledgeable people recommending against it.

I'm now moving up a notch to an Intel P55 i7-860 system. I have read a lot of reviews that tout the ASUS P7P55D Pro mobo. I am also considering staying with Intel and their DP55KG mobo.

Was my good luck with the Intel P45 board a fluke and should I go with ASUS this time or should I stick with Intel?

Dick

2. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

Please ignore this question. I just found an incompatibility with the Intel board and will be going with the ASUS.

Never mind.....

Dick

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Suit yourself but I would recommend using Biostar or Gigabyte instead as they produce higher quality products.

4. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

DFI and eVGA also make boards that are far better than Asus boards. Asus can't even make a good board for a LCD screen...don't trust them to make something as complex as a mainboard.

5. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

This is the one and only place I consistently see negative feedback on ASUS mobos. Nor do I see mound of negative reviews across newegg either. To top it off, my ASUS P5N-D has run just fine for almost 10 months exactly with no major problems.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

which means by the rules of averages you've got about 6 months left. Afterdawn is not newegg, we're real people posting our own experiences, and quite frankly, having looked at newegg, their boards have just as many complaints as others - the particularly bad ones have more. Simple fact is though, the majority of people review stuff on newegg shortly after buying it, not after much use. Asus boards are rarely DOA, but they rarely last very long.

7. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I figure that Newegg reviews are usually worse than a given product justifies since people with good experiences are less motivated to post than those with sob stories--that's just human nature. The reviews I tend to look at are the 3- and 4-egg reviews. The 1-eggs tend to be DOA, but the 3s and 4s tend to be thought out more as distinctions are made to bring it down from the easy-to-justify 5-egg.

After Sam's comment, I spent about six hours studying and comparing on-line reviews and eventually changed my order from ASUS to a GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD5 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard.

I will be putting two GTX 260s in this new build along with one of the new Corsair 950 non-modular PSUs. I was going to use a Corsair 1000, but I actually prefer non-modular cabling and my CM-690 case will easily hold the extra cables.

Dick

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's very true about reviews, you see far more negative reviews of a product by % than you are likely to experience problems, but that said it balances out with long term problems. Certain products are known to have design flaws which will be an issue from new - they get bad reviews on newegg. Products only known to be prone to long term failures will show up with mostly good reviews but be just as bad - Asus boards fall into the latter group.

Don't buy two GTX260s, it's a waste and poor value. By a single HD5870 or HD5850 instead.

9. k7vc

k7vc Regular member

I'm looking for CUDA-compatibility.

Dick

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then ideally wait until an nvidia DX11 card comes out. Two GTX260s really is a huge spend for not a lot of performance.