AfterDawn: Tech news

Movie Gallery set to close over 200 'Game Crazy' stores

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 03 Oct 2009 5:44 User comments (10)

Movie Gallery set to close over 200 'Game Crazy' stores Struggling movie rental chain Movie Gallery has announced that they will be closing over 200 Game Crazy stores this month, citing six straight months of declining sales.
The Game Crazy stores are located inside the company's Hollywood Video locations, and management says the movie rental stores will not be directly affected.

The closures are significant in any right, but even more so because there are currently only 550 of the chain store.

“The videogame industry this year has been somewhat tough,” noted Arvind Bhatia, analyst with Sterne, Agee & Leach. He also stated that Game Crazy only controls 2 percent of the market so “others, like Gamestop, will pick up market share,” when they close.

Movie Gallery filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2007.

Previous Next  

10 user comments

13.10.2009 18:20

This is really bad news =/ I hope they don't close any around me. I really like this store as they seem to me give more for used games and a better deal for used games when buying. They also have some stuff, such as older games, that Gamestop/eb games don't accept anymore.

23.10.2009 21:29

That sucks that they are planning on closing ~36% of their stores, assuming they close 200 and not more.

It also means that those that work there will be out of a job which isn't good, especially with the economy just starting to show positive recovery signs.

I'm hoping that if they have to close the one by my place that the local Play n' Trade can pick up at least some of their business. The prices and selection (when it comes to older stuff) is pretty decent at my local GameCrazy, so I would hate to see them go.

33.10.2009 21:52

Originally posted by 21Q:
This is really bad news =/ I hope they don't close any around me. I really like this store as they seem to me give more for used games and a better deal for used games when buying. They also have some stuff, such as older games, that Gamestop/eb games don't accept anymore.

Me neither, it's one of my favorite places to buy games. =(

43.10.2009 23:03

Originally posted by Pop_Smith:

It also means that those that work there will be out of a job which isn't good, especially with the economy just starting to show positive recovery signs.
You're telling me. I have a cousin who works at one of the Game Crazy that is about to be closed. Guess where he worked before that? Managing a Circuit City. Terrible haha

54.10.2009 00:12

Originally posted by DVDBack23:
You're telling me. I have a cousin who works at one of the Game Crazy that is about to be closed. Guess where he worked before that? Managing a Circuit City. Terrible haha
Wow, I feel sorry for your cousin. :(

I also feel sorry for any company he goes to work for. :P (Just kidding!)

64.10.2009 00:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Pop_Smith:

sounds like your cousin is the problem...everywhere he works shuts down....

74.10.2009 01:19

Quote:

Yeah he texted me today, "I sure know how to pick them." If you have a job out there, be grateful really.

84.10.2009 10:20

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah he texted me today, "I sure know how to pick them." If you have a job out there, be grateful really.
I wonder if we can get him a job with the MPAA/RIAA next lol

94.10.2009 10:41

Originally posted by solamf30:
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if we can get him a job with the MPAA/RIAA next lol
LMFAO! Classic!

108.10.2009 11:03
roxican
Inactive

It is very bad news as they were a great company to work for. I have been the store manager for over 3 years, and my last day was October 7, 2009. I recieved the news we were closing, and we had everything removed with in 24 hours. Customers are gonna miss, us as always we provided a cleaner, organized, and of course the best customer service for a video rental business. It isnt just game crazy's being cut, it is several of the video side of it as well. Best wishes Movie Gallery.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive