1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing mp3 file bitrate.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by coachop, Oct 4, 2009.

1. coachop

coachop Member

Is there a way to change the bit rate of a mp3 file without re-ripping the cds?? I have some audiobook files that I forgot to change the rip bitrate prior to ripping & they are using alot of hardrive space.

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. Mez

Mez Active member

Any converter will do it. However, if you increase the bit rate the app just makes up the data to increase the bit rate since there is no way for it to know what was really there. It will either sound the same or worse but the file will be much bigger. So reducing the bitrate is the the only way you should go. Be prepared to have conciderable quality loss. You lose quality converting any lossy file. You can lose very hearable quality going from 128 to 128.

4. coachop

coachop Member

I'll try it thanks.

5. Mez

Mez Active member

So you want to make them smaller? What are you starting with? If you are starting with lossless you can do whatever. I prefer a VBR mp3 because they have the best compression to quality.

Are these audio books? The US library stores then at only 25 BR. I can't hear the difference between 25 and 128.

6. coachop

coachop Member

No they are audio books on cds I ripped to my hardrive & forgot to change the bitrate before I did them. So I have all these books that were ripped at 192kbs. I don't want them taking up all that space & it's too many to re-rip.I'm going to reduce it 32kbs & join them into just a few tracks per book.

7. Mez

Mez Active member

I do the same except that I do not join any tracks. What is the purpose of that?

8. coachop

coachop Member

Alot of the audiobook cds have up to 99 tracks some are 10 seconds or up to 2 mins long for bookmarking. I don't need or want that many tracks for each cd. So I join them & reduce a book that may have as many as 12 or more cds down to 4 or 5 tracks & use my mp3 players book mark feature to save my place. NetLibrary does this so when you checkout a book file it's one big file. I'm doing the same thing mine are just broken up into a few parts.Doing a fast-forward on a book that is one file 20hrs. long can take a while but 2-4 is easier & faster

9. Mez

Mez Active member

I have an extensive audio book library and never saw 2 minute tracks before. Mine have all been in chapters which is perfect for me. I can almost understand the effort to clean that up. Other than it is work and I don't think I would care since I always turn each book into a play list to insure the order. I can move the files by the play list with my software.

10. coachop

coachop Member

Yeah ,it is work but worth it to me since I have more than a few that were done in that manner.Drives me nuts opening Media Player with all those damn files for one cd & the book may be as many as 8 or more. I'd much rather just have 8 tracks instead of 800.

11. Mez

Mez Active member

Media Player is not advised. Not only is it crap but it sends information out as to what your are doing and robot apps check out your computer. I recomend Media Monkey. It is full featured and there is a great free version.

12. coachop

coachop Member

Tried It don't like it. Besides Media Player has no internet access on my computer.The one with my music ,books ect in not online.

13. Mez

Mez Active member

That is real smart.

14. GennyFil

GennyFil Guest

SPAM removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2010
  15. Mez

Mez Active member

coachop, try ripping with EAC & Lame. I have been using bdPA to rip not EAC so I am not familiar but I know you can rip as one big file with a cue file to a 16 bit VBR mp3. The cue file is used by some players to make the large file accessable by track. It can also be chopped later to the tracks using the cue file. You have the best of both worlds that way and it is a one step process. EAC is one of the top 3 rippers and is free. dbPA is costly but way easier to use. I have let my subscription laps as I have completed ripping a massive library that has taken years. I will be using EAC from now on unless I am typing in too much tag info.

16. coachop

coachop Member

I have been using 2 apps to redo my audiobook files I change the bitrate with an app called MP3 Quality Modifier, then join the files with another app called MP3 Album Maker. So far so good I have done about half of them. All new ones will be ripped in the bit rate I need & joined with the Album Maker app. I will try the EAC ripper on any new books. Thanks

17. k00ka

k00ka Regular member

LameXP is a nice front-end gui for lame mp3..Just drag&drop the files you need transcoded from say 192kbps to 32 or 64kbps for audiobooks..

To join them use something like Mp3directCut, which will not re-encode them..
    Most decent converting apps/tools will transcode from higher to lower bitrates..
    As suggested, it's best to start with a lossless source..Don't think it matters much with audiobooks..At least not to me..I don't use them..

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  18. Mez

Mez Active member

k00ka, I don't think I have heard of LameXP before. Easy is the best as long as the product is perfect.

I suggest you just try dbPowerAmp and use the Helix encoder. Maybe you can endode with Helix using Foobar. I think you will be very surprised. Helix does create a few artifacts but can't be heard by even 30 yr olds. It is the second finest HiFi encoder but is is blazingly fast with a dual core or better. You keep your lossless archives so you are not risking anything. If you try dbPA, be sure to DL all the encoders you think you might use during the free 30 days. Although that apps are dead the dlls called from file explorer never die.