1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help ripping audio books correctly.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by wheelstb, Nov 29, 2013.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I have a handful of audiobooks on CD that I would like to rip to my hard drive or iPod.

Every time I try to rip the CD I wind up with tracks that have seemingly random names. One book was always Named CD 0 no matter which CDI was trying to rip. I continuously have similar problems with this particular bunch of audiobooks.

I'm fairly experienced when it comes to backing up various forms of media but, I'm a relative novice when it comes to audio. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mez

Mez Active member

You forget the producer of the CD doesn't want you to rip the audio. The format of the audio disk does not support information you might expect it should have.

I suggest trying to rip either with, dbPoweramp, EAC or Media Monkey. The ripping software will ask you what the CD, author ect is. I would name the first CD of War and Piece WarAndPiece1. I would rip using something like LAME ABR (average bit rate) 40. 40 is a overkill bit rate for an audio book but LAME does not go any lower without creating artifacts. Lame is a high fidelity codex and doesn't do low fidelity well. ABR goes lower than the higher fidelity mores.

I forgot, consider each CD as a track in a book.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  3. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Thanks for the help. I think you helped me out once before. I was trying to put a bunch of things into a playlist and you recommended media monkey. Media monkey helped me out a few times with putting things in the proper order. I appreciate it.

Thanks for the info I will definitely try out those programs. Is there any way I can do it so that each track is individual? When I have each disc as a track I always accidentally hit back or forward and lose my place. I am very slow at using the pressure wheel to get back to the right spot

thanks again for the advice .

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Are there tracks on the CD? If so why not?

I hate the wheel but they are easier than all the new devices.