1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GOTSent splitting MKV into too many MP4s

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by z3ddicus, Jul 22, 2009.

1. z3ddicus

z3ddicus Member

I am using GOTSent to convert MKVs to MP4s to stream to my 360, and for some reason it is splitting some movies into more files then neccessary. Not all files but quite a few. For instance it is splitting a movie that could fit in one file and be under 4GB into 2, splitting one that could fit into two files into 3 and so on. I have been able to fix the one that is being split into 2 unneccisarily by unchecking split > 4GB but I have no idea how how to fix the ones that are being split into 3 or 4 files. Any ideas why this is happening? I am using the latest 'stable' build of GOTSent which is 0.23.

2. z3ddicus

z3ddicus Member

Well, I went ahead and e-mailed sentry23, the creator of GOTSent and apparently this is a known bug that he is currently working on fixing.

3. scn64

scn64 Member

I'm having a similar problem. Out of curiosity, did any of your files have "out_" added to the front of the filename? I've worked with two mkv files so far that spread the movie across 4 or 5 files when 3 were all that was necessary. 2 of the split files are really small (~80MB) and have "out_" added to the filename.

4. z3ddicus

z3ddicus Member

I'm not completely sure. You should never end up with two files that small though. Does that mkv have more than one audio stream? That can cause some problems with GOTSent. What I am doing for now is using MKVtoolnix to split the files, you can also remove any extra audio tracks with it, and then running them through GOTSent with 'Split > 4GB' unchecked.

5. McNA5TY

McNA5TY Member

Yep, I'm having the exact same problem. Specifically what scn64 was talking about with the two small "out_" files. I've tried three different movies (two with a single audio stream, for the record) so far, and all with the same result. I used both the stable and the beta versions of Gotsent, same with both. Another peculiar thing about the output files was that they were labeled "mp4 audio" in explorer, and when I tried to open them in 360, vlc, mpc, etc. I would just get audio, if anything.

Did this end up working for you z3ddicus?

6. mattfray

mattfray Member

The reason the software is adding that extension to the front of your file conversions is due to the software not having enough space on the hard disk to complete the task (hence the out_ prefix extension), often times creating several small files as it tries to continue the process of conversion. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009