1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data maxing out on DVD when I'm only putting 1GB of data on the disc.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Nishua, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Nishua

Nishua Member

I'm burning AVI files to a DVD using Nero 10. Problem is that when I do this job I can only select a few files worth of data to burn on the disc. Usually I can put no more than 1GB of info on the DVD before it's full. How do I get more data on the disc and still burn it so it play in DVD players? What are the causes of this and more importantly how do I remedy it?

I did see the guide with the freeware software and I haven't tried that but I'm more concerned of getting it to work on NEro and what causes my issues.

Thank you for your help.

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Doesn't the nero manual have anything,it sounds like a setting needs adjusting,i have N10 however have not attempted what your doing i have used dvdflick & it lets you set the size of the resulting dvd files (VIDEO_TS) folder to whatever,hahaha just remembered the resulting out put file may be larger than the input can't remember why tho i don't know which program threw that warning up

3. Nishua

Nishua Member

It' has some automatic it thing but I can only put like a 700MB file on the entire DVD before it's burned that's crazy considering it's a 4GB disc. Are the menus,titles and options taking up all that other space. It just doesn't make any sense.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

You need to switch from automatic to custom size,by the way which part of nero 10 is it your using

what's happening is nero is expanding the 700mb to fill the whole disc there has to be a setting where you can reduce the resulting file output size,however like i said there is a limit as far as i know as sometimes the file on the newly created dvd will be larger than the source but not the whole 4gb..lol..if you can't find the configuration use dvd flick instead it's free & the tuts are in the guides section or you could try pm'ing cyprusrom as that person seems to know a bit if the site search i did is anything to go by attempting to find an answer to your question

5. Mez

Mez Active member

I am going to ask a REAL stupid question. CDs hold 700 m of data. Are you sure you are using the right blanks?

I have to take a swing at Nero. I hate that app with a passion. It is so sloppy I can't depend on it to burn a video. Try using something like imgburn.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

are you sure your replying to the right thread this thread title is

"Data maxing out on DVD when I'm only putting 1GB of data on the disc"

7. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Are you trying to make a standard DVD (mpeg-2) ?

Since the files have to be converted, the size of the source (in MB) is irrelevant.
    Only their run-time (hours and minutes) matters. You can only put 3 - 3 1/2 hours
    MAX on a regular DVD-5. (Perhaps a little more if you encode to 1/2 D1 - half
    horizontal resolution).