1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Harmony remote 880

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by jimp55, Jul 22, 2010.

1. jimp55

jimp55 Member

Can someone tell me if I'm in the right area to discuss Logitech Harmony remote issues?

If so, I have a Harmony 880 on which the screen just went "blue". I set it in the charger for 24 hours, no luck. Tried to re-boot it into "safe mode" but, again, no luck. I did not drop it or anything and have only had it for about six months.

Harmony wants $29.00 to call and ask their technical department.

Anyone have any hints?

Thanks,

Jim

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

Logitech has terrible support. They will charge you something like $175 plus shipping both ways to fix the remote, and their tech support has no solutions (but they will charge you for the call). Logitech knows about this problem, but they refuse to admit the problem, because they would then have to issue a recall. They have not even fixed the problem in new remotes, as they are making a lot of money on replacements and bogus repair fees.

Over a year ago, I purchased a new mouse from logitech. The main selling feature of this mouse was the new PTFE (the form of teflon that is resistant to scratches) feet. The mouse did not come with these feet (even though it was advertised right on the box, on their website, and everywhere else I looked). I posted to their website, and they said that they are using a form of teflon, just not PTFE (even though their website and their box both claim PTFE, and they still do to this day...they even go so far as to list the benefits of PTFE on the box; benefits not offered by the feet provided. Also, no where was the word "teflon" used; it was always PTFE). They recommended I just go out and buy the feet myself...and then they gave me a link to a website that does not (and never has) offer teflon feet for any mouse. I posted back that I had just payed logitech more than $50 for these feet, and even if I wanted to waist my money getting feet somewhere else, the link they posted did not offer them. I never received a response from logitech...but lots of users posted that they had been screwed the same way. To this day, they keep selling mice as coming with PTFE feet, and not one device made by logitech as PTFE feet.

I tell you that story because it is a known issue that applies to every single G5v2 mouse they have sold so far...and it has been a long time since they started selling this mouse. They continue to do this, and there is no indication that they will stop ripping people off...the chances of them providing support to existing customers is virtually non existent.

My advise to you is this...
    Forget about your harmony remote; it is dead, and a repair (even under warranty) will probably cost more than the remote is worth. You can get a used iPaq with windows mobile for under $100...a few free apps will convert one of these devices into a multifunction remote that puts the best logitech units to shame. Said apps are available for older versions of windows mobile, so the only thing you have to worry about when picking a device is the IR port; some iPaqs don't have these ports, and some just have crummy ports that only work from a couple feet away. There are other WinMo devices that will probably work just as well; I just use iPaq as a generic term for a windows mobile PDA.

3. jimp55

jimp55 Member

Killerbug,

Thanks for the note. I guess that this 880 will be come trash as I can not get it to work. The unit you describe is a PDA type device. I'll look into it.

Thanks again,

Jim