AfterDawn: Tech news

Huawei overtakes iPhone, Samsung is next

Written by Matti Robinson @ 06 May 2019 10:51 User comments (2)

Huawei overtakes iPhone, Samsung is next

Smartphones are getting better and better, but for a while now the sales volume has gone down. That's probably the reason many manufacturers are making their phones more expensive, to combat the declining quantity.
For some it is not necessary, namely Huawei. The controversial Chinese manufacturer has managed to grow their business among others struggling and the entire market posting -6.6% growth.

Apple has fallen very sharply, according to IDC's newest report. In fact it is leading in negative year-over-year change with -30%. Huawei has now passed the American giant by a huge margin by increasing the volume YoY just over 50%. That is insane in this market.

In 1Q18 Apple shipped 52.2 million iPhones while Huawei "only" managed 39.3 million. A year later the tables have turned, and more, with Apple dropping to 36.4 million and Huawei with 59.1 million shipped smartphones.

Huawei's 19% market share is a scary prospect for Samsung as well, who is leading the pack with 71.9 million units and 23.1% share of the market. Even they dropped 8.1%.

Huawei has managed this without getting into the competitive U.S. market, thanks largely to the governments' hostility towards the Chinese company's suspected spying.

It's unlikely that Huawei can keep the pace, but it might still rise to the top when we check up on the figures again next year, maybe even earlier.

Previous Next  

2 user comments

17.5.2019 05:50

I am having problems receiving these news items in my fredsan67@ymail.com.

email inbox, for some reason they appear on my Desktop, which only leads me to believe that you are sending them via my Google Chrome Browser.

Could you please advise if this is the case, andAlter the Addressing to the First line of these Comments.

Frederick Santos, DOB 01 February 1942, Mobile +61407292476

27.5.2019 05:55

I am having problems receiving these news items in my fredsan67@ymail.com.

email inbox, for some reason they appear on my Desktop, which only leads me to believe that you are sending them via my Google Chrome Browser.

Could you please advise if this is the case, andAlter the Addressing to the First line of these Comments.

Frederick Santos, DOB 01 February 1942, Mobile +61407292476

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive