AfterDawn: Tech news

1 Terabyte media server

Written by Lasse Penttinen @ 18 Nov 2004 9:16 User comments (18)

The geekiest thing one can ask for Xmas? Niveus A/V Storage Server offers a stunning capacity 1 Terabyte connectable to your home network. How much can you stuff into 1TB? 670,000 high quality photos, 100 hours of HDTV content, 1500h of digital home video, 3330h of lossless compressed music... But better take it easy when you are telling about this to your mom and dad, since this baby has a price tag of $2999.
The award winning Niveus “A/V” Storage Server brings 1 Terabyte (1000 Gigabytes) to your always-on home network. This is the ideal solution for anyone looking to store all their digital media onto a single device that allows accessibility, reliability, and data redundancy of the home's most valuable digital assets.
Source: NiveusMedia

Previous Next  

18 user comments

118.11.2004 10:04

I think a couple of large capacity zip drives would do the job just as well & at a fraction of the cost, can't really see the need to spend so much money on ONLY 1 terabyte. My system, 2 hard drives & my zip drive gives me 300gig of storage. Also I can transfer files just in case. Imagine putting all your music & vid files in & it gets corrupted! In fact who the hell would fork out that much for so little. I think somebody is trying to make a lot of money for next to nothing. I wouldn't get one on principal. Do these manufacturers not realise how knowledgable we all are? Or are we viewed as just plain stupid & will buy anything? Which bonehead gave them an award? Probably an illiterate blindman who has lived in a cave for the past 1000yrs. Well you asked for my opinion!!

218.11.2004 10:05

The storage space is so big it's taking up the whole of my Christmas List... =P

318.11.2004 10:13
pcshateme
Inactive

Pulsar i completely disagree- do the math thats $2.99 a gigabyte- pretty good deal- but even better when you consider that its alot less cumbersome than a bunch of hard drives working together, and if your running a bussiness thats enough for 100 computers. (you dont need much space for individual terminals)

418.11.2004 14:20

I guess if you are a business then it may make sense, but I still would prefer the flexibility of zip drives. With the way the market goes in the UK, the equivilant cost for 1 terabyte is less than 1150 US dollars. which equates to less than 1dollar 15cents per gig. I do not think the drive on offer at afterdawn is not value for money at all. My basis for comparison is the 250 gig Maxtor USB2 zip drive(HD-031-MD) I would rather have those 4 zips for maximum cost effectiveness. Here is the website I get my bits from, http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/External_Hard_Drives.html I realise it is in the UK, but I would imagine you could get a similar deal where you are.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Nov 2004 @ 2:22

518.11.2004 18:27
diabolos
Inactive

The drives biggest benifit is its small size plus its quite operation. $3000 does seem a little high but most people wont need to upgrade from one tera by christmas 2005. The possiblity of someone buying another one soon would be unlikely. Anyway, typicaly half of the drive space would be used, the other half would be used for back-up (RAID). Your paying for easy of use. I would give it an award if it came out the box with a RAID 5 configuration and software that maid it as easy to use as a plug-in play device, plus a simple network setup (like connect cable, bundled software does the rest). I think thats what they did and what your asked to pay for.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Nov 2004 @ 10:30

618.11.2004 21:42

I remember my first XT-turbo 640k ram 20 meg hd 1-360 floppy, 1 5.25 floppy. I Thought what will I ever do with all those megs on that hd? A lot more than I'll ever need.....every time I have said "thats' all I'll ever need" , true to moores law in 18 months I needed more...now I believe in Bob's Law, I never Believe in what I Believe...huh?

719.11.2004 05:08
indienemo
Inactive

anyone know what access speed this uses? or if like it says ''network'', would it be able to transfer data at 1000mbps? Otherwise its not worth it in my opinion...

819.11.2004 05:36

The reliability and data redundancy are the likely reasons for the higher price. If you have high-output RAID controllers with redundant power supplies, redundant data paths, and other server-class architecture features, you will pay more for the "peace of mind" that the system won't go down easily.

919.11.2004 11:42

This seems a bit out dated with phillips 300GB optical disc around the corner

1019.11.2004 12:39

They have a 1 TB external HD from Lacie for under a grand, so this isn't worth it.

1119.11.2004 12:39

They have a 1 TB external HD from Lacie for under a grand, so this isn't worth it.

1219.11.2004 15:44

just got that 1 TB LaCie drive for $999. Works fantastic. Has firewire 2 also, but not ethernet.

1320.11.2004 01:20

good god $999!!! I got my 250 gig's for $125 each ... brand new.

1420.11.2004 09:55

an external for $125? what brand is it, and where did you get it? If you have 4 daisy-chained together, I don't think the performance is as good as having 2 500GB drives in a RAID array.

1520.11.2004 10:14

oh ... no all internal

1629.11.2004 04:42
Prisoner
Inactive

$3 per gig, that is crazy. I would rather buy some DVD's and runn of multiple DVD drives. Thats at about $0.25 a GB. Think about that math. I wont pay more than $1 a gig with Can taxes got my 250Gb for $250 with Can tax (which is a lot). Flip were did you get your 250 for $125, external enclosers are cheap and setup a couple would be nice.

1729.11.2004 13:21

Quote:
Flip were did you get your 250 for $125
eBay ... all new, sealed.

1823.12.2004 09:09
monis
Inactive

hello every one can i use this as an internet server? i want to make a email server and a website offering 3.5GB to each user for $4 a month. Is it possible to use maybe two or three of these server and hook em up to each other so its 3 terabyte and use it for my purpose? do you guys think that people will sign up for my service that i plan to offer? 3.5GB for $4/month? People, please give my your feedback. thanks. Monis.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive