1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Curious about EDTV...Anything special?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by c2sellit1, Jan 31, 2005.

1. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I think my current television might be EDTV compatible. My current hook up is my Digital cable box through s-video cable. Do I need anything special to receive edtv or is what my picture is now just that?

Im confused on this, I have an hdtv in the living room but an EDTV in my bedroom and would like to maximize the quality.

Do I need anything special?

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

In order for you to take advantage of EDTV(480p) you have to upgrade from s-video(SDTV,525i) to component cables. Check your box for component outputs. You should look for a set of 3 analog outputs that are red(Cr), blue(Cb) and green(Y). If your cable box does not have these outputs, call your provider to get you a box with these outputs. Once you connect these cables change the video options on your cable box and television. If you have a DVD player with progressive scan hooked up to it also, get component cables for that too and change the video options on your DVD player as well. You should be happy with the results.

3. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

My dvd player is hooked up to component cables but when I put it on progressive scan the screen just goes black, however when interlaced it shows up fine.

I have an hd cable box with component cables and when I hook it up to my tv through component it doesnt show anything at all.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You have to adjust the settings on your tv to proggressive scan.

5. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

I called my tv manufacturer and they said their should be a p-scan button on the remote or television however it isnt shown anywhere.

My model is an Apex pf3220

Any tips?

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Sorry, all I can suggest is to look in your owners manual. Good luck, you'll be pleased once you get it going.

7. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Did that and no luck. If I cant get progressive scan on a dvd player the chance of getting a component input television connection it is pretty much obsolete as well than....Thanks for the help though.

Also, I have a High Definition Zenith tv in my closet that has a circuit board or picture tube problem. Should I give up my 32" flat screen and get the high def fixed or gain the extra 5 inches and deal with s-video quality?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I need to know what cables you are using. Your original post said you were using an s video cable. S video cables won't work if you want progressive scan. You have to have component cables connected in order to take advantage of your tv. Please let me know exactly what your using for a connection between your dvd player and your tv.

9. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

dvd player-Component cables, works fine when the dvd player is selected on interlaced. However, when I enter the menu settings on the dvd player and switch it to progressive scan it will flash and then go to a blue signal saying "no signal"

Digital HD cable box-I will hook up the outputs from the box and plug them into my component inputs into my tv and when I turn it on, once again blue screen "no signal", I will get sound but not get video.

On my remote or any of my TV settings their is no button or menu option to change my tv to the correct setting (such as interlaced or progressive)

10. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I just checked, and your tv is not EDTV. It us just a regular flat screen. Thanks for the wild goose chase.

11. c2sellit1

c2sellit1 Regular member

Then what is the use of the component cables? If my cable box can put an output of 480i than it should still give me better quality than right?

12. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

You actually will get 525i(regular broadcast) signal. The component cables will give you better color correction than s video, but thats about it.