1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XCP Protection?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by buddyboy, Apr 22, 2005.

1. buddyboy

buddyboy Member

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I have two CDs that have XCP protection. They will play in my portable CD player, but my laptop will not recognize the CD as having audio tracks.

I tried using EAC, and after altering the TOC to "native" and then "manual," EAC finally recognizes the tracks as audio tracks. However, the program will not play the songs, nothing comes out of my speakers. And when I try to test or rip the tracks, the process times out.

Has anyone dealt with XCP protection before? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

3. smartone

smartone Member

There may be an easier way but this is how I cracked XCP.

First, insert the disc (I used: A Static Lullaby) and hold the SHIFT key down for several seconds while closing the tray. I wait till drive activity stops before letting go of the SHIFT key. This bypasses the AUTORUN file.

At this point you can read the disc but can not see the audio files (only the data files). I was the able to use SONIC to easily make an "exact copy" of the disc. I did not try, but I assume this copy and any additional copies will work on all regular CD players.

The computer will not read the audio tracks on this disc either even when the SHIFT key is held when inserting. The copied disc does however have a gap on the outer part of the disc whereas the original does not.

I then took a Sharpie Pen and filled in the gap as well as a slight amount of the outer edge of the burned region. When I inserted the disc again (I did hold down the SHIFT key but I'm not sure it is needed at this point) the drive went spastic trying to read the data in the shaded in area but when the noise stopped, the data files were gone and I could read the Audio tracks. I ripped a copy to Windows Media player without difficulty. It sounds great and the player was even able to access the album info from the online source.

The great thing is I did not destroy my original. I may have been lucky to shade in just the right amount of area but it worked pretty well. My thought would be to shade a hair more of the outer edge of the burned area if the data files continued to appear. I definitely shaded the entire gap.

Look forward to seeing if this works for others.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ smartone,

Have you tried AnyDVD? I'm curious to see if it works on XCP.

5. Digidave

Digidave Regular member

Hey Smartone! Where on God's green earth did you come up with that idea? Just sitting around one day thinking,"I wonder what i can do with this sharpie that hasn't been done already"? AAAh!!, the wonders of technology!! Good One!!

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest