1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

converting 8mm videotape to dvd

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by deutroni, Jul 22, 2005.

1. deutroni

deutroni Member

I apologize for a 2nd posting. I put this previously in the wrong forum. I again apologize. Hopefully this is the correct one!

Hello!!!

I have never transferred home video (or any type of video)to dvd before. Is there any freeware that I can use for my computer that contains fairly simple directions?
    Thanks ahead of time for anyones help!!!

Here are the specs for my Computer and camera:

CAMERA:
    Hitachi 8mm video camera approx. 10 years old.

COMPUTER:
    Compaq Computer, Model 7478
    Windows 98 Second Edition
    AMD-K6-2/533 MHZ Processor With 3D-Now! Technology
    64 MB/100 MHz Shared Sync DRAM Memory (8 MB dedicated to video)
    30.0 GB Ultra-DMA Hard Drive
    512K Pipeline Burst Cache
    56K ITU – V.90 High Speed Modem
    8x DVD-Rom With MPEG 2
    4x CD-RW Drive
    4 Expansion Slots And 5 Drive Bays
    4 USB Connectors
    (Two each USB Root Hub connectors)
    (Two each VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller’s)
    Integrated 2x AGP 3D Graphics
    Logitech QuickCam Express Internet Video Camera

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Your PC is Way too Slow to do any sort of Video work Pluss you don"t have enough Drive space and you don"t seem to have a Capture device to Capture the Video.....

To do Full resolution Video Capture You should have 2 hard Drives with one Being Dedicated for Video capture and should be over 80gb Pluss you should also have a PC that runs at least at 2.0ghz with 512mb of ram....

Pluss since you are Running Win 98 you are Limited to 4gb File sizes and Captured Video Files can Take up to 60gb per hour of Video at Full resolution and Uncompressed which you would have to do because your PC isn"t fast enough to capture useing Compression....

I would suggest that you wait till you have a PC that is More Suited to doing Video Work before you attempt to Capture any video....

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 22, 2005
  3. deutroni

deutroni Member

Thanks Minion for your response!!!It's not what I wanted to hear, but I am thankful for the info.!