1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drive does not read DVDs but does read CD after Nero problem!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by Freak4Ayu, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Freak4Ayu

Freak4Ayu Member

I posted this same problem in the "Geeks To Go" forum but I guess they got sick of helping me (sorry for having no patience but I was all excited to burn an ISO I downloaded for 3 days and it wouldn't work!).

The maximum Total Size of my "C:" Drive is only 18.6 GB (YES! Any advice for where I can get more to be installed for not too much $?} My mom just had our computer upgraded from Windows ME from YR. 2000 and we had Windows XP installed and more RAM put in and a CD-RW/DVD±RW and what-else and it all worked great. Well I downloaded the RAR file which was 3.27 GB and had only around 500 MB left but usually I just burn the ISO and delete it. Well I had to extract the file also so I had to delete something else. I decided to burn my sharing file for DC++ and then delete it but released that wasn't big enough after I started the download but the burn process stayed at 1% and wasn't working anyway so I cancelled it and decided I was gonna burn the RAR and then extract it straight from the DVD and it wouldn't work and I tried again and it said it had to be burned in UDF format since the file was larger that 2 or 3 GB so I clicked OK but it sort of froze when it tried to burn so I had to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and cancel it but the disc would not eject so I held in the POWER button until it shut down and started it back up...

Well, now even more problems begin. I tried to burn it again and inserted the DVD first and then tried to burn it but it popped out and said "insert blank media" or something so I inserted a diff. blank DVD-R and it just sat there. I tried this a few times but later I found out the drive was not recognizing the DVD in the Drive! When I would open the My Computer folder and click once on the "D:" Drive and it wouldn't display any media info in the left-hand corner. I double-clicked on it and it showed the "D:" Drive folder as empty.

I inserted an Audio-CD and it recognized that and it also recognized a CD-ROM I inserted earlier. I have tried un-installing the drives and rebooting to let Windows re-install them and that did not help. I also inserted the Windows XP CD-ROM (the one I mentioned earlier) and re-installed Windows (Upgrade only; so that it wouldn't erase any of my files, just re-install the OS files), NO SUCH LUCK!

I have used the same DVD-Rs forever, Memorex, and they worked fine! What should I do, what should I check? I have no clue how to remove the drive and check the cables as I have been reading in other forums as a possible solution to similiar problems.

It couldn't have been to good for me to hold the POWER button in and shut-down the computer but it wasn't working before that as I mentioned, the DVDs wouldn't burn anyways, however, it did recognize the DVD in the drive but it would make this weird noise when it was reading it.

Well, I guess that is all, please help cuz I don't want all of this to go to waste. I have gotten so frustrated looking for solutions on google cuz there is so much text and I don't even know if that is the right solution.

Oh, here is my drive info...

(D:) LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S
    (E:) AXV Cd/DVD-ROM SCSI CdROM Device
    (F:) Generic DVD-ROM SCSI CdRom Device [I use this to mount ISO images to copy or burn with Alcohol 120%)

I got this in Alcohol...

===-------------------=== Devices Information
    (D:) LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S (1:0)
    (F:) Generic DVD-ROM (2:0)
    (E:) AXV CD/DVD-ROM (3:0)
    ===---------------=== Devices Detail Information ===-----------------===
    =====-----------------------------------------------------------=====
    (D:) LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S (1:0) Device Detail Information.
    Vendor Identification : LITE-ON
    Product Identification : DVDRW SOHW-1633S
    Production Revision Level : BS0S
    Host/Target Number : 1/0
    Support recording method : DAO, RAW SAO, RAW SAO+SUB, RAW DAO(96)
    BURN-Free Technology: Not Supported
    Auto-Select best write speed: Not Supported
    -* Note: This information below is provided by the unit, it might be inaccurate. *-
    -* This software does not use this information! *-
    Removable media: Yes
    Version: ATAPI (INF-8090i/INF-8020i/INF-8028i)
    Respone Data Format: 02H
    CD-R Read/Write: Yes/Yes
    CD-RW Read/Write: Yes/Yes
    Read CD-R fixed Packet: Yes
    Test Write: Yes
    DVD-ROM Read: Yes
    DVD-R Read/Write: Yes/Yes
    DVD-RAM Read/Write: No/No
    Audio Play: Yes
    Composite Audio and Video Data Stream: No
    Digital output(IEC958) on port 1 Supported: Yes
    Digital output(IEC958) on port 2 Supported: No
    Mode 1 Form 2: Yes
    Mode 2 Form 2: Yes
    Multi-Session: Yes
    BUF: Yes
    CD-DA Commands supported: Yes
    CD-DA Stream is Accurate: Yes
    R-W Supported: Yes
    R-W De-interleaved & Corrected: No
    C2 Pointers Support: Yes
    ISRC Supported: Yes
    UPC Supported: Yes
    Read Bar Code: No
    Lock media into the drive: Yes
    Currently drive Lock state: Unlocked
    PreventJumper: No
    Eject Command: Yes
    Separate volume leavels: Yes
    Separate channel mute: Yes
    Changer Supports Disc Present: No
    Software slot selection: No
    Side change capable: No
    P through W in Lead-In: Yes
    Maximum Read Speed Supported(By current disc) : 48X 8467 KB/Sec
    Maximum Write Speed Supported(with current Disc) : 48X 8467 KB/Sec
    Current Read Speed Supported(with current Disc) : 48X 8467 KB/Sec
    Current Write Speed Supported(with current Disc) : 48X 8467 KB/Sec
    (F:) Generic DVD-ROM (2:0) Device Detail Information.
    Vendor Identification : Generic
    Product Identification : DVD-ROM
    Production Revision Level : 1.0
    Host/Target Number : 2/0
    -* Note: This information below is provided by the unit, it might be inaccurate. *-
    -* This software does not use this information! *-
    Removable media: Yes
    Version: ANSI X3.131:1994 (SCSI-2)
    Respone Data Format: 02H
    CD-R Read/Write: Yes/No
    CD-RW Read/Write: Yes/No
    Read CD-R fixed Packet: Yes
    Test Write: No
    DVD-ROM Read: Yes
    DVD-R Read/Write: Yes/No
    DVD-RAM Read/Write: Yes/No
    Audio Play: Yes
    Composite Audio and Video Data Stream: No
    Digital output(IEC958) on port 1 Supported: Yes
    Digital output(IEC958) on port 2 Supported: No
    Mode 1 Form 2: Yes
    Mode 2 Form 2: Yes
    Multi-Session: Yes
    BUF: No
    CD-DA Commands supported: Yes
    CD-DA Stream is Accurate: Yes
    R-W Supported: Yes
    R-W De-interleaved & Corrected: Yes
    C2 Pointers Support: Yes
    ISRC Supported: Yes
    UPC Supported: Yes
    Read Bar Code: No
    Lock media into the drive: Yes
    Currently drive Lock state: Unlocked
    PreventJumper: No
    Eject Command: Yes
    Separate volume leavels: No
    Separate channel mute: No
    Changer Supports Disc Present: No
    Software slot selection: No
    Side change capable: No
    P through W in Lead-In: No
    Maximum Read Speed Supported(By current disc) : 32X 5632 KB/Sec
    Current Read Speed Supported(with current Disc) : 32X 5632 KB/Sec
    ===-----------------------------------------------------------------===

Well I guess that is it... Please help!

EDIT: I don't know if you got this or not but my DRIVE does not recognize DVDs AT ALL! It is as if nothing is even in the drive!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2005
  2. Freak4Ayu

Freak4Ayu Member

I got an e-mail saying someone replied to this message but I can't see to find it!!

3. TSeltzer

TSeltzer Member

I've got the exact same problem. My DVD burner is a Memorex dual layer 16X internal. It reads and writes CDs just fine, but it won't play or burn DVDs. I also am trying to use Memorex DVD-R discs, so perhaps they are the problem. I would think that Memorex DVDs would work with a Memorex drive, though.

I've done a few of the same things you have -- uninstalled and reinstalled the drive, and let Windows XP recognize it anew at boot up, as well as downloading new firmware for the drive. Nothing has worked so far. I've tried to burn through Nero Express, but Nero acts as if the media is a CD-R and then can't record because it's an incompatible disc. Windows Explorer doesn't even see the blank DVD after it's inserted. If you get an answer, or if someone else knows what's wrong, I'd be much obliged.

4. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@Freak4Ayu - what dvd media you using ?. if unsure google search for 'dvd identifier', download that and run it to identify your media and paste results here, and we could start from there..

@TSeltzer - post LAST section of your Nero log, it's in c:\program files\ahead\nero\nerohistory.log, but DO NOT post your serial number, which usually begins with '1A21' or similar (Nero logs are very good at showing the setup of a PC with regards to burning).
    That Memorex DVD media rang alarms bells there as they use widely differing quality of disc manufacturers - some are the most atrocious utter rubbish money can buy

5. SnowJock

SnowJock Guest

Sorry that I don't have any solution for you but I do understand what you are experiencing!
    I bought a new Sony computer with DVD/CD writer and experienced a similar problem.
    1. I was attempting to burn a CD with NERO. The disc burning process hung on the last file (I was burning a total of 350mb onto a blank 800mb disc). Anyway, the disc wouldn't finalize with lead-out and the drive kept on going.
    2. I had to reboot to stop the drive spinning!
    3. Upon reboot the drive would NOT recognize any kind of CD only DVD's - so my problem is the reverse of yours. As you were burning a DVD your drive will recognize a CD but not a DVD. I was burning a CD and my drive wouldn't recognize a CD but will read and write a DVD.
    4. Disc media isn't a factor in this as we use the same as we did last week and the week before.
    5. NERO seems to be common to the problem.

I uninstalled all software and drivers. I reflashed the drive with the latest firmware. I updated the boot code. I changed to new media. I tried blank CD's I tried pre-recorded CD's I tried music CD's All the same effect NO CD reported in the drive. I imagine your problem is NO DVD in the drive.
    I go so peed off I replaced the drive with a new 16X DVD/CD writer last week and guess what... I was using NERO thismorning (yes, a purchased legit copy!) and I was burning a 35 minute audio disc on an 80 minute capacity blank and it hung again! Now this drive is 100% useless and I have to buy another. It will read, play and write DVD but ZERO CD ability.
    Please understand this problem has nothing to do with CD or DVD media we are using. If anyone has help or advice other than CD or DVD media we would like to hear of it.
    Thanks for any help.

6. cyclo12

cyclo12 Member

SnowJock, I have the same exact problem description. DVD's ok, but no cd's...

Mine is a Memorex, dual layer 16x

Nero seems to be the cause...

I'm going crazy trying to solve this here....

Last edited: Sep 17, 2005
  7. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

Same problem/no answers

DVDRW works, CDRW doesn't (no recognition of a cd)

same burner: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S

Like most of your's, my burner was stuck on Nero--unfortunately, it might have been a few HOURS before I NOTICED it stuck. Spinning rapidly, disc was very hot when I got it out. WILD GUESS is it's broke.
    :(

8. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

guys, dvd burners have 2 lasers, one for cd's and one for dvd's, so if firmware's up to date, all settings are up to date, maybe the drives are kaputt...

9. thelox714

thelox714 Regular member

guys.. with the memosux media.. sorry.. memorex.. stop using it.. dont get the cheap
    stuff.. spend the extra money and get verbatim's some TY's. listen to this guy creaky.. he
    knows what he's talking about..

when i read memosux.. dang it.. memorex.. i instantly knew, although it may not be the
    full issue, that that crappy media.. was not helping you one bit.

i know sometimes money dont come around easy.. but when it does come around.. get the
    good media.

and again, creaky is a great person.. he's got the knowledge you need.

cant stress that enough.. stay away from memosux.. dang it.. i can never get that right..
    you know what i mean

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005