1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you shorten the length of a prerecorded mpeg?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by katana27, Sep 27, 2005.

1. katana27

katana27 Member

hello,

hopefully i have the right forum, if not moderator please forgive me and move me appropriately.

my question is this i have a tv capture card installed in my system and i have a vcr attached to it i am in the process of transferring some stuff that i had prerecorded on vhs to my computer that part is no problem it saves the files as mpegs which i can watch with windows media player, but i had some stuff on the tape that i did not want in the initial file save so basicly the file is 17 minutes long and i want it to be 9 minutes long how can i save the mpeg video so that i can stop it where i want and save it so that, that is the new mpeg file, unfortunately the capture card just keeps recording the vhs tape onto the computer even if there is nothing recorded on the tape i will record "no signal" on the screen until the tap runs out.

can i do what i want with window media player or is there something else i can use?

thank you

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

What you need is a Mpeg editor so you can Cut out the Unwanted Parts of your Video.....

There are a Couple Freeware Mpeg editors but they do not have a Lot of Features but you can Give them a Try...

Do a Google search or look n the Software section of this Site for "Cuttermaran" and "Mpeg2Cut" and "Chopper XP" you can also use the "Merge & Cit" feature in "Tmpgenc" to Cut Mpeg files.....

If you want something with more Features but isn"t freeware then check out "Womble Mpeg2VCR".....

Cheers

3. katana27

katana27 Member

thank you Minion, i will give it a try and let you know

4. katana27

katana27 Member

good news and bad news,

bad news first

cuttermaran,mpeg2cut didn't work right locked up computer, couldn't find chopper xp anywhere.

good news tried trial version of womble mpeg2vcr worked great!

thanks again for the guidance!

katana27

5. ted535

ted535 Member

Another programme - which is free - is MPEG Scissors v1.2. I've just found it and it is simple to use.
    You can also add several short MPEGs together to make one DVD. (Just burn with Nero).