1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No gamma adjust for overlay? Help me please!

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by kaon2, Oct 6, 2005.

1. kaon2

kaon2 Member

Hi all,

I've just changed from nvidia.com's official drivers to Forceware 81.84 from guru3d, but my problem still remains...

Am I the only one with this problem? Is there some other software tool I need for this?

What do you guys do if your videos are too dark and your monitor is maxed out?
    (movies are usually more problematic (needing gamma boost) than TV shows... but I just want to show that I tried it out while an overlay app was active)
    [​IMG]
    help me please... :(
    TIA

other specs:
    DFI NF4 Ultra-D, BIOS:623-3
    Athlon64 Winch 3000+, stock HSF
    2 x 512MB of Adata PC3200 (cheapo stuff)
    6600GT (i think it's MSI)
    36G Raptor, 250G Seagate, NEC 3520A
    WinXP Pro SP2
    OC: 248 x 9, mem:203, 1.55V

2. kaon2

kaon2 Member

Commonly suggested things that do NOT work

1. "Apply color changes to: Desktop / All": the gamma slider is enabled, but gamma changes still do not affect overlay content.

2. "Color profile: Advanced mode": you can play with the curve directly, but changes still do not affect overlay content.

3. "Just dragging the greyed out gamma slider": nothing happens.

4. All channels / R / G / B: nothing there.

5. "Use Powerstrip": Gamma changes do not affect overlay content.

If any of those actually work for you, please post.
    Try it out with a video playing, and you'll most likely see how gamma adjust affects everything except the video.

Workarounds that I am aware of:

1. Set hardware acceleration to zero - now video doesnt use overlays, it is blocky, but at least it is affected by gamma changes.

2. The brightness and contrast sliders do work for overlays... but it's just not the same as gamma. Roughly speaking, gamma can enhance the visibility of dark details, but adjusting brightness/contrast cannot reveal any more detail.

3. kaon2

kaon2 Member

My work-around for now:
    I use Media Player Classic (MPC) for videos, so I set in View > Options > Output, VMR9 (Renderless)
    I think this means overlay isn't used... or something. Anyway, now gamma adjust for All or Desktop affect the video as required.
    (not that I claim credit for this, someone else suggested it, and I've put it off till now to try it out)