1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Official PC building thread!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by souldoubt, May 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoumTime

BoumTime Guest

Hi Praetor I have a couple of questions for you if you can spare a few minutes of your time. I am about to build my first PC in the next few weeks and after trawling several forums like this for advice have come up with my hardware spec. However as you really seem to know what your talking about I would like to run a few things past you before I part with my hard earned cash lol. Ok here's what I plan on going for.

CPU Pentium4 3.2GHz with 1Mb L2 Cache.

Mobo Asus P4C800

Graphics Card ATi Radeon 9600Pro

RAM 2 Sticks of Geli 512Mb DDR PC3200 400Mhz with Aluminum heat spreader.

The case is a 5619 Matrix Aluminum Chasis, here's the link if you want to check it out http://www.armadacomputers.co.uk/show.pl?product=1316. Ok now to the questions

I noted in an earlier post of yours you didn't reckon P4's above 2.8GHz were worth the extra cost for the performance gain, is this even if they have 1Mb L2 Cache as opposed to 512Kb?

Secondly I was going to go for a Asus P4C800 E-Deluxe Mobo but as far as I could see the only difference between it and the P4C800 was that the deluxe supported Raid (which I doubt I will ever need). Are there any other differences? Is it worth me paying the extra for the Deluxe?

How about my RAM? Is Geli Ram any good? (It seems very cheap in comparrison to Crucial or Corsair Ram). What about my type of Ram? I just went for the biggest number thinking it was the best lol, is PC3200 the best option for me?

And finally what would you suggest for cooling?

2. BoumTime

BoumTime Guest

Oops forgot my HDD's I have already got 2 Western Digital 120Gig HDD's 7200Rpm and 8Mb Cache which I put into my existing Comp so I will just transfer them to the new one.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I dont follow Intel that much so I cant remember but if you are comparing a P4-2.8 (512K) against a P4-3.2 (1MB) there's no contest for obvious reasons. Now if you have the option of a P4-2.8(512K) versus a P4-3.2(512K) then I would reccomend you go with the 2.8Ghz because its not worth the money jump. Now if we were comparing P4-2.8(1MB) versus a P4-3.2(1MB) then I would take the 2.8GHz model.

I personally rarely go for the Deluxe models because, as you've pointed out, there's just shit I dont need. There are a few more differences with those two mobos namely support for wireless and some frontpanel thingy. All in all, probably not worth the price jump.

Not sure which PC3200 module you chose but the GL5123200U ( http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=10 ) is a very nice set for $180 apiece with 2-3-3-6 timings at PC3200.

Have a go at the Official Cooling Thread ( http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/81431 ) a lot of ideas there both for silent and not-so-silent solutions (mainly forced air though).

As for the case, it's mostly up to you and what you want as far as utility, size, noise, cooling and aesthetics go. In general I'd reccomend a case with a minimum of three 80mm hardpoints available (either 1xfront, 2xback or 1xfront,1xside,1xback). Furthermore, you might be interested in a pair of active/passive drive coolers for your drives.

Oh and dont forget to get a good PSU (and for godsake dont get a PSU designed for "quiet" environments unless you absolutely must have a quiet computer and if not your world will shatter or something like that -- the PSU is arguably one of the top 3 heat producers in your case).
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  4. Dkarn

Dkarn Member

Hi there, i have read through most of the posts in this fourum and am still a little bit confused! I am going to be building my own PC from scratch and i dont know where to start. I have trawled the internet for information about AMD Vs Intel and Prescott against Northwood... If i see another benchmark chart i think i will scream! What i really want is a Pc that will last me this year and hopefully still be able to run the best games in a year. I was looking at something like this:

Athlon 64 FX-53 -or- (Prescott) Intel 3.4 (1mb)
    Something by Abit/ASUS? -or- Chaintech 9CJS
    (256bit good?) Graphics Card... I was going Radeon as they appear to have the best reviews, but i would like to get the most compatible one for the mobo/processor.
    1G RAM (again whatever suits the mobo/processor)
    SATA HDD Western 80G
    + Optical drives

I have been searching for a well constructed case, roomy and well ventilated with a lockable front panel. I havent been able to find any for sale in the UK. If anyone knows of anything apart from Thermaltake could you let me know!

I would appreciate as much help as anyone can give, I have spent hours looking and am leaning towards AMD, but i hear stories of bad drivers and compatibility issues ect. The same with Radeon cards. Any help is much appreciated!! Thank you.

Ohh yeah, i have a budget of about 2000quid, however less is good. Price isnt my main issue, i just would just like to have a system that i know will work without internal conflict! Cheers!

5. Praetor

Well when you are shelling out that kind of money it doesnt really matter that much. I assume you wont be using the 64bit functionality otherwise it wouldnt be a decision to make.

Abit or ASUS naturally. Chaintech seems to cater to those who want to make "tricked out looking computers" which dont have all that much performance

Aside from bragging rights and pissing contests it doesnt really matter all that much as both companies make excellent products.

Goes down to personal preference I guess but i'd reccommend Corsair and OCZ

No such drive. They make a 74GB drive however.

What kind of functionality do you need from your drives?

Hehe I wasnt aware Thermaltake made good cases ;-) Have a go at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/86944

And that would be..... ;-)

6. Jehar

Jehar Guest

Hello.

I have a $1k budget, and use it for CAD\everydayuse\games.

So far I have ordered a jpac gothic case\500wpower\fans and an abit nf7s motherboard.

I am about to decide on a processor. I really want to have dual-processesors, but I do not to go overbudget. any help here would be hot, along with any general tips.

7. Praetor

Well the NF7-S mobo doesnt support dual procs and certainly doesnt support Intel chips. So you are pretty much restricted to XP chips. In that case I'd reccomend you get the XP2800+ ... an excellent all around chip whether you OC or not.

As for cooling head on over to the cooling thread, lots of ideas there both for loud and quite configurations.

8. Dkarn

Dkarn Member

Cheers for the reply Praetor,

What i am really looking for is other people's preferance. I.e if you were to use an Athlon FX53 what motherboard would you use? Is there something just as good and cheaper (student alert!)? I appologies about the HDD, got a bit of a crossed wire on my facts. You get the idea about the set up though... Just to keep firering off the questions, would you have any preferance about graphics cards. Like i said, i want one that will handle top of the range games for at least the next year, possably 2. I am wondering if there is something new gen about to come out though... dont wanna buy something and have then release a brand new one for the same price but twice as good! (Beyond the speed of the industry now that is).
    Sorry if i am a bit vauge, i am still trying to build up a bit of a list of what people generally find the best products. If all else fails, go with the flow! Haha, Thanks you your help!!

9. Praetor

I think I understand kinda what you are getting at. For a discusson and look at the best of the best have a look at http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/87039 however with a student budget in mind, neither processor is really within your grasp unless you are a seriously rich student hehe. The Ultimate Dream PC thread has the corresponding mobo/proc combinations

That's not happening. Even these vaunted X800/6800s are going to be highly obsolete within the year.

10. Dkarn

Dkarn Member

Sound cards moving on that fast huh? Bummer! Having had a look through the dream computer thread a couple if time i think i know what i am aiming for. since i am just bursting with questions, and you full of information ;) i thought i would add a couple to my list! PCI Express... is it worth waiting till christmas to see what develops, and what is with this new form fractor that is being whispered about here and there BTX or something? Enyone know what is happening with that, and if i buy a case and PSU now, will i be able to upgrade?

To cut to the crux, is it worth buying a FX53 now, with a 256 grfx card and lots of RAM? Or am i better off sticking to a 3200+ XP Barton with a 128 card and lots of RAM? I am either going to get all this at once, or i will build up gradual like... but i need to know if it will be worth upgrading my mobo in the next few months because of pci express or a new chipset. Wasting money makes me break out in uncontrolled bursts of sorrow. Please forgive my annoyingly overlapping questions.

I will be buying the parts in Thailand, I have family there and thats where all your componants are made, or Malaysia, which i can drive to... so cost isnt so much of a problem as i will have to look when i am there.

11. Jehar

Jehar Guest

will the xp chips be able to handle all my autocad graphics proggys and gaming needs?

12. Praetor

It's probably safe to say that NO chip can handle ALL your needs -- and it's especially difficult when you havnt specified exactly what kind of gaming needs you have.

13. Jehar

Jehar Guest

sorry. ill try to be a little more clear. i play things like Jedi academy and the sort. I am also an avid doom player (d3 coming out soon!) and use high-end source ports such as jdoom.
    I am mostly concerned about being able to do heavy 3d graphics and the sort. i use autocad\viz\rhino and 2d proggys such as photoshop. I work for a small company that make architectural renderings, and one of the reasons for my new pc is to have a good platform to do these things on.

i plan to install redhat 7\8\9 and win98.

I am running into a problem as far as monitors go. as i said before, I have a $1k budget, and it is hard to find a good monitor that wont take a huge chunk out of my budget. i checked ebay, but pickings are slim. any tips here?

14. Praetor

JKA can be played reasonably well on any GF4Ti/Radeon9500 or better. As for Doom3, a GFX5900/Radeon9700+ is virtually a must.

Unfortunately you now have to make a choice (depending on your budget). Do you need the CAD/Animation stuff (i.e., job) or do you just want it? The reason I ask is because the fancy CAD/Animation video cards are designed with absolute pixel precision in mind while gaming cards use a "well its going at 90fps so people cant tell that pixel 53245 is off by 0.22mm" principle. Furthermore, those CAD cards use optimized precision drivers designed for pixel precision rather than brute force speed drivers you will find on gaming cards. Lastly, DirectX support for those cards is .... less than optimal. Ideally, if your budget supports it, you would be looking at 2 cards, one for work and one for play.

Normally I'd suggest you go after some of the budget 19" CRTs out there but given that you do stuff involving CAD and Rhino I'm not so certain the d.p. on those CRTs is good enough. You 'should' be able to get a 0.24mm 19" CRT for that price range .... not so sure if you can play in the 0.22mm arena with $1K but its worth a good look into it.

The question really is: if you have a FX53, are you really going to use it to its full potential and the stuff you want to do, can it be done on the barton3200? In either case I would think that, unless you are swamped with money or have some other need/intention, the XP3200 is more than sufficient. It's better to upgrade bit by bit since not all the parts drop in price at the same time and you can upgrade based on need.

15. Jehar

Jehar Guest

thanks for the tips, but i was talking about xp PROCESSORS. :p
    as far as video goes, ive already decided on a geforce 4 ti :p

16. Praetor

Well as for processors, the XP is not the flashy top end bragging-type processor by any means but it will hold it's ground pretty well. A solid processor at a decent price.

17. Jehar

Jehar Guest

It's coming along great now... everythings ordered and arriving. Got the mobo, processor, ram, etc. hooked up. My cdrom drive arrived, and I was getting ready to mount it, when i discovered that the 3-pin audio cable that runs from the drive to my integrated audo port did NOT come with the drive!!! HELP!!!

I have searched all over, but i cannot find what i need. any help here would be lifesaving.

BTW, I am using a abit nf7s mobo, with integrated nvidia audio. So i will be plugging the cable in this instead of into a pci audio card.

EDIT: I may have found the right cable now... is it an MPC-MPC audio cable?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2004
  18. Praetor

Most smaller computer stores will probably give them to you if you ask ... in either case it wont cost more than $5.

I think that's what it's called but i cant remember

19. jamiew

jamiew Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2004
  20. Praetor

Not the best AMD mobo out there but for that kind of price.... geez! :) A couple changes I would reccomend:
    - Get a different CDRW drive... LG isnt known for its... quality
    - You may want a better CPU fan
    Other than that... awesome pricetag :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.