1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best bang for the megabyte

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by SidtSurf, Mar 8, 2006.

1. SidtSurf

SidtSurf Member

I need to transfer a bunch of old karoke laser discs to computer. Don't need to burn 'em to anything. They will stay on the computer.

What is the best way to get good quality audio and video to be viewed on a 13 or 19 inch monitor using the least amount of disc space? Hopefully under 8 megabytes a minute. I have both the ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 series card and the Hauppauge PVR-350.

I really need to know step-by-step what to do 'cause I'm really stupid when it comes to this stuff. I don't know Divx from FedEx! I'm newer than new!

Thanks all

2. TPFKAS

TPFKAS Regular member

What is defined a good quality differs from person to person, so difficult to give good advice. Nevertheless, if you only want to play them on your PC a very good option is DivX. It allows you to choose your own compromise between quality and file size.
    By the way: in order to get your LaserDisc stuff on your PC you will need an anlog capture card because video on LaserDisc is analog. Then, the only thing you have to do is to tell your capture card to compress to divX and you're done.

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

x264 or even XviD will give you better video quality per MB than DivX. I definatly wouldn't recommend capturing directly to it though. Capture using a lossless codec, then encode.

For audio, vorbis or he aac will give you the best quality at lower bitrates.