1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pi,Po and Jitter Errors

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dannykiwi, May 10, 2006.

1. dannykiwi

dannykiwi Member

I cant get Pi,Po and Jitter tests to work in either Nero Scan Disk(all of the other functions work)or DvdInfo ,,\I have a Samsung TS-H552U Burner ...Is there any other Tool that I can use while using this Burner to check for PI&PO ect???or do i have to get another DVD Burner that is capable of using these features..If that is the case how do I know when I buy it that it can access these things...
    preferably I would rather keep my Samsung and get another Test Software Suite that can do this??
    TX in advance..

2. brobear

brobear Guest

I've noticed the problem you're having with my own equipment. I don't know of a software that will work with your Samsung. I have a Plextor with the Plextools suite (which does all the tests). It won't do the tests with DVDInfoPro and Nero. I have an HP that won't do all the tests either. I went a long time before having a drive that would do a full battery of tests on a DVD. Funny thing, I've always used good media and the coasters I've made have been pretty much my own doing. There was the time a burner headed south... Unless you're just wanting a drive to test your DVDs, you can save your money by simply buying good branded media. Every drive I've tried will do the read scan and that's the one that tells you if you have read/write errors (bad sectors). For me that's always been the important test.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2006
  3. dannykiwi

dannykiwi Member

My one will do the read scan with Nero and as you say that is the one that tells you if you have and bad data unreadable ect ect and the quality of the burn so I guess the rest really are not that vital unless for curiosity sake..
    I have learned the hard way too about using crap media,I once had over a fifty percent coaster rate with Princos that were a disaster.and even now the ones that did burn OK are starting to lose data as Crap Media does within a short time sometimes..
    Cheers Matey and Greetings fom New Zealand ..

4. brobear

brobear Guest

You hit on it, most of those tests are just for curiosity's sake. The only time I've ever used a bunch of them has been for discussion purposes. The only one that has really come in handy for real world testing has been the read scan. Bad sectors usually mean backup problems. The question is, do you want to spend the money to satisfy your curiosity? Next time you [bold]need[/bold] to buy a drive, you can do a little shopping around and find a drive with more bells and whistles.

Sounds like you learned the media lesson the hard way. Media quality is more important for recording Video than data. You're ahead of a lot of people on the learning curve. Many people still mistake compatibility for quality. Just because you can get a recording doesn't mean the playback will continue to be good long term.

Greetngs to you from the Kentucky Highlands of the USA.