1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can someone please help! Why Foobar2000 can't play *.ape files?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jungning, May 22, 2006.

1. jungning

jungning Member

Hi all,

I recently downloaded some music with .ape and .flac files. I stumble across AfterDawn by searching google, great site by the way.
    I then found out I need to download "FooBar2000" in order to play the music files. However, after I installed Foobar2000, it would not play the ape files but worked ok with flac music files.

Would someone be so kind as to tell me how I could fix this problem?

Jung

2. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

You will need to download a seperate plugin in order to play ape files. You can grab it here.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/foo_input_monkey.zip

Extract the zip file. Place foo_input_monkey.dll in X:\Program Files\foobar2000\components. X being the default drive letter. Run Foobar. Go to file menu, select preferences. Go to file types. Under file type association, check the boxes MAC and APE. Apply the changes. Foobar will now associate APE and MAC (Monkey's Audio) files.

(Note: This component has known unresolved stability issues.)

If you want to look for other plugins to extend Foobars functionality, you can also look here.

http://www.foobar2000.org/components/index.html

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  3. jungning

jungning Member

Thans very much BlinkN! Followed your suggestiion and now I can listen to the previously unplayable files.

By the way, I am also haveing problem with *.dat files. I donwloaded some movie and was quite looking forward to watch them but all I get is the sound. Any idea how I can solve my problem?

Jung

4. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

What program are you using to play dat files?

5. jungning

jungning Member

The media players I use most often are RealOne Player, Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic. I also have CyberLink PowerDVD, which when I use it to paly .dat movie, I can hear the sound but can't see the movie itself.

I also find that from time to time I would have problem with .avi and .mpeg files. Sometimes when I donwload a movie that's been slipt into 2 files, I would find myself able to play one of them but unable to play the other.

I know in theory that if I have the right codec installed, I should be able to play any media fiels. But in practice, I always come accross the "odd-one-out".