1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial - Make Your Nintendo Wifi USB Connector A SoftAP

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by kcajblue, Sep 4, 2006.

1. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

Ok. If you are stuck with a Nintendo Wifi USB Connector and want to use it to connect with a different devices like a psp, you can use this tutorial to change your Nintendo Wifi USB Connector in to a SoftAP so you can connect online with any other devices.

To do this you need to have this rar file:
    http://hotfile.com/dl/106617561/5e88136/nin_wifi_Fullpack.rar.html

Then follow these steps:

1)
    If you want to use the official Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector as a standard SoftAP make sure you have removed the Nintendo software and drivers as they will no longer be needed.

2)
    Inside the Drivers folder of the RAR file, you will find modified Buffalo drivers. Install these drivers for the USB Connector. Then install the ASUS software (also in RAR file(eng_2371.zip)). When it prompts you to restart, select No. I have found that there is no need to.

3)
    Now in the ASUS EXEs folder of the RAR file, extract the six EXE files in the into the ASUS folder (C:\Program Files\ASUS\WLAN Card Utilities). Make sure you overwrite the existing files.

4)Then click Start -> All Programs -> ASUS Utility -> WLAN Card -> ASUS WLAN Control Center. You will get a dialog asking if you want to use the Windows configuration utility or the ASUS one, select the option that uses ASUS one and disables the Windows one. Then there will be a wizard. Click Cancel to close the wizard.

5)
    Now copy the file (C:\Program Files\ASUS\WLAN Card Utilities\Driver\WinXP\AP\rt2500usb.sys) to (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers). Make sure you overwrite the existing file.

6)
    Right-click on the ASUS software icon in the System Tray (bottom-right corner of screen) and select Wireless Settings. When the settings dialog opens, on the left select Config, then go to the SoftAP tab, and select Soft AP Mode. Then un-tick the Enable ICS checkbox. Then on the left click Apply. You will get a message box asking if you really want to change to SoftAP mode, click Yes. A message will come up saying something like "add the adapter to the network bridge", just ignore it and click OK. If all has gone well, there will be no error messages. Now close the ASUS Wireless Config utility or it will start conflicting when we manually set ICS.

7)
    Now go to Control Panel -> Network Connections (this may have opened automatically opened up when you Applied the SoftAP settings). Right-click on the Network Adapter you are currently accessing your Internet through (or your internet connection icon) and open the properties for that connection. Go to the Advanced tab, and click "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection". Then click OK. If you get an error message saying the IP address is already in use, disable the Network adapter you are trying to share then try again - be sure to enable it again afterwards. It can take a long time for ICS to be enabled so wait patiently.

8)
    Now right-click on the Wireless Network Connection and click Properties. In the middle of the dialog there will be some protocols, select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and then open the properties for that. Windows would have assigned a static IP address if ICS was successfully enabled, check to make sure this IP address does not conflict with other IP addresses on your network. Also, it should be on a different subnet to the Local Area Connection (for example, my computer's IP address is 192.168.0.2, I assigned the wireless network connection the IP address of 192.168.1.1 - which is on a different subnet). If it is on the same subnet, ICS will not work correctly.

***9)***
    With that done, open the ASUS Wireless Config utility again. On the left select Config, in the Basic tab set a SSID. In the encryption tab, select Shared for Network Authentication and WEP for Data Encryption - I have found that this works with the DS. Now enter a WEP key. Go back to the Basic tab, and at the bottom click on Advanced, change the 54g Mode setting to 802.11b only. Click Apply on the left to save the settings.

10)
    Now turn on your DS, play a Wi-Fi Connection game, go to the Nintendo WFC Settings, and select Manual Setup. Enter the SSID and WEP Key (both of these are case-sensitive) you entered to the ASUS Config utility before. Select No to Auto-obtain IP Address (you must do this because the Nintendo DS doesn't seem to DHCP correctly with ICS for some reason). Now give your DS an IP Address (this must be on the same subnet as the USB connector, I gave my DS the IP address: 192.168.1.2). For subnet mask enter 255.255.255.0. For gateway and primary DNS, enter the IP address of the USB connector. Now try and test connection, and if all has gone well the connection should be successful!

11)
    Now with the ASUS Wireless Config utility, hide your SSID, and use MAC Address filtering to improve the security of your wireless access point.

12)
    You now have an Official Nintendo Wifi USB Connector that can connect online with any other devices. :D

~~~ This is a video of me installing the Nintendo Wifi USB Connector. in the video i take a long time to do some things. so if you think the video is over its not. the video is like 12:00 minutes. its really long. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XCSFNK20 ~~~
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Note 1:
    I did not make this guide. I just happened to find it and want to share it with everyone else because it helped me a lot.

***Note 2:***
    I use different I use different ASUS WLAN Card settings than the ones in step 9 so I can connect with the DS and PSP at the same time.
    here are my settings:

Basic Tab
    -Network Type - Infrastructure
    -Network Name (SSID) - Hide SSID
    -Channel - 6
    -Data Rate - Fully Auto
    -PS Mode - CAM
    [​IMG]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Encryption Tab
    -Network Authentication - Open
    -Data Encryption - Disabled
    [​IMG]
    Advanced Tab
    -RTS Threshold - 2347
    -Fragmentation Threshold - 2346
    -Preamble Mode - Long
    -Frame Bursting - Disabled
    -54g Mode - 54g Auto
    -54g Protection - Auto
    -Use Short Slot Time - Disable
    [​IMG]
    Soft AP Tab
    -Soft AP / STA Mode - Soft AP Mode
    [​IMG]
    Access Control Tab (I dont use a MAC Address anymore but you can if it works for you)
    -Access Control Policy - Accept
    -Access Control List - (enter the MAC Addresses of your device)
    [​IMG]
    if you have any questions or anything, just ask.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  2. qberty

qberty Member

GREAT JOB KCAJBLUE!!! nice tutorial!!! helpped me alot
    thankx!!

3. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

no problem
    btw. are you using my settings or the default ones.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  4. qberty

qberty Member

im using urz rite now...but the default worked for me too

5. qberty

qberty Member

as soon as i started ma pc agen den it started not to work

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  6. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

what started not to work

7. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@qberty
    You shouldnt post your email address in a public forum. You will get LOTS of spam. Take it down and then send a private message to kcajblue with your email address.

8. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

yeah. you should take your email off of your post.

9. qberty

qberty Member

according to ur instructions...u say to klik apply right after i unclik enable ics...but wen i do that it doesnt ask me if i really wanted to switch modes...and wen i try to make my internet connection a shared connection then it either says error or it takes long to apply den wen it applys i look at the ip address of the wireless connection it doesnt even match my internet ip..i dont no my computer ip...cud u make lyke a screen recording of how u do it? to help me or sumtin...cuz i can do the other parts im just puzzled on changing the ip and stuff...cuz wen i set my ssid and wep i use it with my psp but it says the connections weak even if im right beside it....or cud u make special settings just for psp?

10. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

what connection are you trying to share.
    to find out your computers ip address open a command prompt and type in ipconfig

11. qberty

qberty Member

thanks...i wanto use my psp to connect using the nintendo wifi...and ur instructions sed that i need to share my original connection to let my usb connector connect with it but it just wont connect cuz its lyke its not sharing the connection i dont no wat to do.. do u have n e settings especially for the psp?

12. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

these are pictures of what you should do with your internet.
    go to your network connections in the control panel. then right click your computers internet connection and go in properties
    [​IMG]
    then click the option that allows other network users to connect.
    [​IMG]

but if you said that you are using my settings then it should work with your psp. because those settings work for both my DS and PSP.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  13. Turkguy19

Turkguy19 Member

I cant get this to work right. I get to step 4, do what it says, but the Wizard never pops up, and it comes up with an error saying that my Wireless LAN device is not pluged in, and it is. Ive tried everything that I know of (which isnt much) but cant get it to work.

The exact error message is:

There is no wireless LAN card installed. Please insert your card and run wizard again.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  14. qberty

qberty Member

thankx for the screen shots but it styll doesnt connect with the wifi usb...cud u probably include more screenshots of wat u did...or to help me out even more cud u include lyke a screen recording of every thing u did..pleze

15. qberty

qberty Member

i tryed agen...i got every thing installed but wen i connect with my psp....it send the information but doesnt receive any...wats goin on?

16. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

tell me exactly what you did from step 1.

what is the ip on your psp. it should be different than the nintendo wifi usb connectors ip.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Turkguy19

Turkguy19 Member

OK, first I installed the Drivers. The way I did this was through the "new hardware wizard". Now I dont know if that is my problem, but that is the only way I know how to install the drivers. Then after that I followed the steps exactly. I installed the ASUS software, extracted the EXE files, then I tried to run the ASUS program. Thats all I did, so I dont really know what Im doing wrong. Thanks for any help you can give me.

18. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

what kind of internet connection do you have

19. Turkguy19

Turkguy19 Member

I have a highspeed LAN connection through my school.

20. kcajblue

kcajblue Regular member

are your trying to install this at your school?