1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

info on Sandboxie

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by tmr250z, Sep 14, 2006.

1. tmr250z

tmr250z Guest

Hi, I was looking for a kind of virtual machine program to run my browser in so that my system will have yet another layer of protection, and I found one called "Sandboxie" at http://www.sandboxie.com/ .

I have not tryed it yet, so I would appreciate comments from anyone who has used it or if someone could suggest something better to use.

I don't have any security problems on my computer (I use a Hosts file, firewall, router, an anti-virus and antispyware programs , real-time protection, and common sense), but I am curious and wonder if it's worth the time.

2. tmr250z

tmr250z Guest

Okay...since no one is going to give me an answer, I'll just try it out myself and tell you how it goes later.

Thanks anyway!

3. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Sandboxie looks promising, so give it a try. But you have not listed the most important security enhancement aside you can make aside from common sense - do you use Internet Explorer, Outlook, or Windows Media Player? If so, then THAT'S the biggest threat you are facing. Especially IE. Fiddling around with VMs and sandboxes is all well and good, but it's more important to be running software that doesn't have more holes than Swiss cheese in the first place.

4. tmr250z

tmr250z Guest

Of course I don't use IE, Outlook, or WMP. That's where the common sense part comes in, besides staying away from bad sites. I use Firefox, but sometimes, only on sites that are absolutely trustworthy, I have to use IE because they won't render properly with Firefox's engine. But to get around this, I use the IE Tab extension so that pages open in Firefox using the IE rendering engine.

I use Thunderbird for email and Media Player Classic for video but I still block outlook and WMP from accessing the internet with Kerio firewall.

Anyway...I tryed Sandboxie and I love it! It makes copies of your system files that are needed to run a program in a secure folder away from the real program files and registry. And once you're done, exit the program and delete the contents of the sandbox. No changes to your system, just like it was before you used Sandboxie. I've also discovered that I can use it to try out firefox extensions without any
    permanent changes to Firefox.

I can't wait to find out what else I can do with it!

5. Niobis

Niobis Active member

lol, learn something everyday! I didn't know there was an IE tab extension. Thanks for that. :)