1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backup ARccOS protected DVD to DVD+R DL issues

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by samts, Oct 1, 2006.

1. samts

samts Guest

Hi all

I have been a frequent visitor for a long time but have always been able to help myself through my issues using the guides and previous threads but I am afraid I am well and truly stuck (7 hours of a wet Sunday afternoon/evening glued to my PC is evidence of this)

Anyway, I recently decided to go to DL and bought a Sony AW-G170A, fittedd and installed, works like a charm, shelled out for a few DVD+R DLs (Riteks were all I could get locally)

I am trying to backup my copy of Capote (purchased from Blockbuster, ex-rental if that makes a difference, it hasn't for other DVDs in the past)

Ideally I am looking for a straight 1:1 copy or even better if I can get rif of the first few sequences and the dolby logo sequence etc that would be cool.

I have followed many guides today so it is a bit confused, but basically I have used combinations of DVDFabDecryter, DVD Decrypter, RipIt4Me, Fix VTS, VOB Blanker, ImgBurn and Nero 7.

I am basically there I think, I have the DVD files I want on my hard disk with the bits I want removed and they play perfectly in Nero Showtime. The problem I am having is with creating an image that works and then a physical disk that will play in my Panasonic DVD home theatre kit. I have tried Nero Express to just write the files to a VIDEO_TS folder, this catually plays in showtime on PC, Windows Media PLayer 10 stutters through the opening sequence and gives up and my Pana states "loading..." and then STOP. :( That was my first attempt. I have then written numerous .iso that all play fine in showtime but I either get no video and audio or no audio and video in WMP 10. I am loathe to try again with a real disc without consulting the one place that may be able to suss what is wrong as at £2 a pop, 3 strikes and I may as well have just bought 2 copies :(

Any input is much appreciated and ppologies for the lengty post, but the devil is in the detail ;-) yu may spot what I didn't

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

First, Verbatims DL disk are the best.
    Ur problem sound media related.
    U should also booktype them(If ur burner is capable) for more compatibilty with the dvd player

u can also try ImgBurn to burn as i think it is a better burning program for DL disks better than nero
    here is a guide to burn a Video_ts folder with ImgBurn.
    http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1779

3. samts

samts Guest

Thanks for the quick response, I was afraid it might be the media.

A few quick ?? if I may ...

If the VIDEO_TS folder plays fine on the PC then the source files are definitely OK?

WHy does WMP not play both vid and audio when I can get Showtime to play both fine using .iso so can't be media related, can it?

The disks end up with a DVD-ROM status using DVD Identifier, not sure whether it is the orig setting or the drive doing the business for me on that but that is the most compatible right?

Thanks again

4. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

I believe that burning with nero automaticly does the booktype so it sounds like it is being booktyped if the burned dvd says that in dvd indentifier.
    Yes
    not sure, could be a codec issue, or the program itself, but the true test is playback on a standalone dvd player.
    BTW, what speed are u burning at? u can try lowering the burn speed to see if that helps, but i would try ImgBurn first, to see if it comes out better.

5. samts

samts Guest

ImgBurn is plodding its way through at 2.5x speed as we speak (maximum the disk supports) I will see how that goes and if it fails I will try again at 1x.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2006
  6. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

ok, let us know how it turns out

7. samts

samts Guest

Hmmm ... disc plays fine in Showtime, only Video (no audio) in WMP ... and ... drum roll please ... in the standalone player ... it plays WOOHOO ... lets see if I can't replicate that success on a few more.