1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyway to convert .asx files?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Deadrum33, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I've searched afterdawn and googled, found a few paid programs but was wondering if there is a way to convert these type files manually or with freeware. I've tried renaming it as .asf and use a converter program but no luck. Any suggestions?
    If its any help, I put it on my hard drive using Firefox "download embedded" extension.

2. ivymike

ivymike Regular member

An .ASX file is simply a link to streaming web content. You will need a stream ripper like HiDownload to rip the streaming file and then you can convert the result.
    URL: http://www.streamingstar.com

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

I was aware it is a link, but having trouble searching for free rip programs. There isnt much, and thank you for the link with the free trial. I have fumbled through actually doing it, was trouble at first but the online help and FAQ's got me through it.
    Heck maybe if I get done what I need and get to like the program I might buy it after the trial.
    Thanks again.

4. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  5. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for the heads up. If I get annoyed with the other program I might have to learn japenese.

6. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

The program is compiled in Japanese but the interface is now in English so you don't need to learn Japanese. Only thing that is in Japanese is the readme. Strange the last time I used the program was over a year ago and was entirely Japanese. Guess the author decided to make the interface in English.

7. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Good to know. Right now I'm looking for a flash converter, the program I have "SUPER encoder" says it does .swf, but I keep getting errors and no matter what settings I use it fails. The last flash converter I used left a watermark on the video so I keep searching.

8. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

You can try MediaCoder.

http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

This program has a much cleaner interface then SUPER and it's also free. Downside, it's still a little buggy. Sometimes it gets better with each update or release. It's a hit and run situration, but it wouldn't hurt to try.

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Thanks for the link BlinkN.
    I bookmarked the page and will try the software soon.
    I am off to band practice so I will post back when I get a chance to sit down and use it a few times.

10. BlinkN

BlinkN Regular member

Sounds good. If you need help getting the program configured; you know where to find me.

:)