1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting a ASF file into a MPG file.

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by speed2424, Oct 29, 2006.

1. speed2424

speed2424 Member

Can someone point me to a FREE program that will convert a ASF file into a MPG file, that won't leave a watermark on it. I am trying to convert a ASF file to a MPG file so that my Pinnacle Studio MediaSuite program will be able to add it into a home movie that I am working on. Thanks in advance.

2. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

3. speed2424

speed2424 Member

Where I live, only SLOOOOOOOOO dial up is offered. So I am having my brother download it for me. It looks like it should take care of my problem. THANKS for the help. I knew if I came here, someone could help me.

4. speed2424

speed2424 Member

We used the program to convert my ASF file, BUT in the new MPG file, the color seems to be really washed out. Any ideas what I can do to make it look better? Thanks.

5. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

First up, that may simply be a consequence of too many conversions. But there are a few things you can try. What are the stats on your original, such as resolution, codec, etc.? For one thing, you may want to try having FFMPEG do the conversion, rather than mencoder. Converting to MPEG-2 is also a good idea if your video is better than 352x240@29.97fps (NTSC) or 352x288@25fps (PAL). Try it with DirectShow disabled at first.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  6. jp1216

jp1216 Member

Using Super. I keep getting and error after a few minutes saying 'mencoder error'.... Any ideas?