AfterDawn: Tech news

Nero announces SecurDisc data protection

Written by James Delahunty @ 16 Jan 2007 7:31 User comments (12)

Nero announces SecurDisc data protection Nero, the company behind the world-famous Nero Burning Rom suite, has announced its SecurDisc data protection technology. The company has called it the first solution for the access control and performance reliability of data stored on optical media that allows it to be distributed and shared securely. The technology provides several layers of data protection to users.
SecurDisc prohibits unauthorized access to data through password protection, detects altered data on authored media through checksum verification, increases performance and reliability through redundantly stored data and authenticates the origin of data through digital signature verification.

"SecurDisc is a breakthrough in that it provides the first secure means to use optical disc media for the sharing of confidential data," said Udo Eberlein, COO of Nero AG. "We envision this new flexibility and security for data distribution to be of immediate interest to many companies, organizations and individuals. It also provides us with another powerful means to create additional partnerships in the digital media space."

SecurDisc supports CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM media, and is supported by the Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Vista operating systems. The benefits of this technology are realized with CD and DVD media authored via SecurDisc-certified devices and carry the SecurDisc logo.

Source:
Press Release

Previous Next  

12 user comments

117.1.2007 08:21

This sounds preety interesting whe will it come out?

217.1.2007 16:26

Sounds futile... when will it be cracked? I say 7 days from intial release... I wonder if the money invested into DRM and copy protection is greater than what their losses would be to actual piracy. Developing these methods and software cant be cheap and yet they still try.... oh well

317.1.2007 16:46

lol...just one more things the hackers will crack passwords...HAH!

417.1.2007 17:30

Finally!!! I can protect my important work files

518.1.2007 07:28

If this is at all like the formats used for PC games it's bound to flop, as it sounds. I own Nero 7 but really wouldn't need to as their are hacks for it all over the place. Wouldn't you think they could secure their own product before trying to move into other areas. I sure wouldn't need this feature and if I was going to sell software why wouldn't I use some of the existing formats. I must say though that if it comes with the standard packages it could be a selling point.

618.1.2007 10:41

Sony tied disc encoding, it was cracked the same day they brought it out.

718.1.2007 15:00

look at all the noobs posting comments does not look as if worth it

819.1.2007 20:10

Most of Nero's products get cracked. This will not be any different. Its just a matter of time. Although would be interesting to have security like so.

922.1.2007 14:58

I'll never buy anything more from Nero again.

1022.1.2007 17:38
diableria
Inactive

everything gets cracked ;)

1117.3.2007 14:24

The point is not that it is fail safe (can't be hacked), the point is that it makes it harder for people gain access. Just like a locked door, it won't keep people out if they real want in, but it will make it harder for them. They have have the determination, the time, the skills\knowledge, and the tools. That will turn away 98% of the people. That is the goal such systems.

1217.3.2007 17:36
diableria
Inactive

if its so safe then people will look for alternatives, nothings gonna stop us from doing what we want, Nero is just gonna lose customers thats all.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive