AfterDawn: Tech news

Movie industry blames IM and SMS for movie flops

Written by Petteri Pyyny @ 22 Aug 2003 5:26 User comments (27)

This summer's major movie flops, such as The Hulk and Gigli didn't fail because of their bad script, bad acting or just overall lack of originality. Not at least if you listen to movie studios.
Movie studios claim that the habit of spreading the bad words about movies to your friends after you've seen a movie that you considered as a "not worth paying for" is to blame. And specifically the new technologies, such as instant messaging and mobile phone text messages (SMS) are to blame.

According to movie studios, five years ago the so-called drop-off rate between movie's premiere weekend and the second weekend was appx. 40 per cent in the UK and now it is 51 per cent.

Now, we're waiting anxiously when MPAA decides to ban mobile phones and IM tools -- obviously they are to blame, 10 years ago people didn't have any means to communicate with each others and even Really Bad Movies made profit, right?

Source: The Independent

Previous Next  

27 user comments

122.8.2003 18:16
madmax123
Inactive

what a bunch of idiots

222.8.2003 20:38
QUAKEDS
Inactive

WHEN A MOVIE IS BADDDDDDDD ,,IT JUST BADDDDDDDD, I am 100 % agree with madmax,,, what a bunch of i!@!@##!#$..

322.8.2003 21:50

The MPAA is right....years ago when I saw a bad movie I kept my mouth shut and didn't tell my friends, so they went and wasted their money. What universe are these morons living in?

422.8.2003 23:54

Yes, ban those evil technologies! This sounds like a pretty desperate and far-fetched cry from the MPAA.

523.8.2003 02:24
GameBoy
Inactive

sms is also to blame for global warming.

623.8.2003 06:03
Amakuza_8
Inactive

Oh what a bunch BS!!!I went to watch HULK i wasn't enjoying it.I was stupid, i went to watch "Gigli" movie and it was worst movie and wasted our money too.People have right to tell anyone if this movies are the best or worst.The IM and SMS are not to blame. What is "SCREENER"?????we judged if this movies the best or not the best.

723.8.2003 06:29
wonderboy
Inactive

yes it is to blame atleast they are blaming the correct method (communication) but they left out chat rooms I told thousands upon thousands of people not to see the hulk and that it would suck. if at least 1/4 of them took my advice then thats still about 500 plus people that didnt go see it.

823.8.2003 06:57
blak_wire
Inactive

i never saw the hulk or gigli i'm guessing there not very good and i like the right to tell other people that they suck. i say hooray for txt and thankyou movie studios for your little joke

923.8.2003 07:12

So why don't the movie studios just concentrate on making movies that ARE worth paying for, and then we'll use these communication tools to tell everyone that they should rush right out and see it immediately. Or maybe people just don't have that spare $10 do go see ANY movie anymore. Money is tighter for everyone, and with other entertainment costs trying to get a part of your money (what is your CABLE bill now vs. what it was 10 years ago???) we have to be much more choosey about the movies we go see. Bottom line - the movie industry needs to concentrate on making a quality product, not blaming everyone else for their failures. - Bob

1023.8.2003 08:20

When this news came out, I got a text message on my cell phone telling me about it :). What a great country.

1123.8.2003 10:32

I'm here looking at this laughing at work. Dude they think of the most supid shit man. IM must be the reason New York Blacked out.

1223.8.2003 11:07

I'm laughing too! But let's move onto a more important subject. I thought the Hulk was good. I mean it's got Ang Lee! I actually though CTHD was pretty crap...in fact, I thought CTHD dies when compared to Hulk.

1323.8.2003 16:37

This reminds me of the story about the movie "Neighbors" with Belushi and Akroyd. I thought it was Ok, but anyway... the movie execs did some tests and found it did not do well. So they did what is known as "shotgunning" in the business. They released the movie to a large number of theaters at once, this way they could get a bunch of people to see it before word got around that it was not too good. THANK GOD in this age they cannot pull that crap anymore!

1424.8.2003 04:54

Do these people have a brain? First the nonsense from the music industry and now these idiots come up with this. Why are people in these 'high' places so stupid? I think we should ban these people and let common sense take over...MORONS!!!

1524.8.2003 08:03

Quote:
But let's move onto a more important subject. I thought the Hulk was good. I mean it's got Ang Lee! I actually though CTHD was pretty crap
It wasn´t a complete disaster, but I hate the fact that in the superhero-movies of today eveyone seems to be able to defy gravity. I have never read The Hulk or Daredevil, but I´m pretty sure their powers didn´t include jumping to insane hights.

1624.8.2003 08:04

Quote:
But let's move onto a more important subject. I thought the Hulk was good. I mean it's got Ang Lee! I actually though CTHD was pretty crap
It wasn´t a complete disaster, but I hate the fact that in the superhero-movies of today eveyone seems to be able to defy gravity. I have never read The Hulk or Daredevil, but I´m pretty sure their powers didn´t include jumping to insane hights. Whats CTHD by the way?

1724.8.2003 09:21
MisterK
Inactive

That's a load of Gigli. A bad movie with big stars that cost a lot of money and flopped. Yeah, I've never heard of that before. It's nice to see the MPAA is blaming the movie-going public for their crappy movies not making money. They're welcome.

1824.8.2003 13:23

I've never seen Gigli, nor did it even interest me in the least when I saw the ads in my city (San Francisco), on the busses on the subway. Instead every poster I saw of the movie had been written on, making of of the duo. Although alot of people went in the city to see hulk here. The locals thought It would be kinda neat to see their City being ripped apart by the hulk. But after the movie everyone was complaining about how it sucked. So. The hulk didn't really ....wellp ytou really didn't feel for him too much and niether did you have an adrenaline surge when his foe died. Think about the First batman, or the X-men movies, you feel for the characters, and you get totally lost in the story. Thats a good movie, and thats what Hulk was lacking.

1924.8.2003 17:56

This is stupid because they complain about us telling people that theses movies suck through IM and cell phone use but they have never complained about movie critics saying bad stuff about them in newspapers. Besides it's only right to warn somebody about a crapy movie and save them the money.

2024.8.2003 18:24

GhostDog. Hulk has the ability to leap long distances in the comic books. If you are comparing it to the TV show the TV show was never a true representation of the real Hulk size, strength, or power-wise. I agree with you Hanedrick, Hulk lacked that excitement factor that you got in the other superhero movies. I liked the dram angle, but felt it could also include the stuff that made reading the comic exciting. Hopefully Universal learns from this mistake and makes changes to the script for Hulk 2.

2125.8.2003 01:08

Well, actually this article is right - even though the way it presenets the idea is too limited. People are communicating a lot more than for example 10 years ago. Cell phones, e-mail, IM, SMS.. The amount of people vs. people communication has increased. You can notice new behaviour patterns, especially among youngsters. When something important or interesting happens, the first thing they do is that they share the information with someone else by using these communication tools. And I can recall myself typing in ICQ:"I just saw this overhyped movie XXXX. Oh boy it was bad.". People share their experiences more. But it's not just a movie industry thing. The increased communication affects the societys in many other ways too. In Finland you can often hear a phrase used by sales personnel:"One unhappy customer equals ten happy ones." This means that bad customer experiences are more likely to be shared with other people than positive experiences. I guess the phrase can now be updatet to the ration of 1:30, or similar?

2225.8.2003 04:16

Quote:
GhostDog. Hulk has the ability to leap long distances in the comic books.
OK. I´ve never read Hulk as a comic, so I made the asumption that the movie was just following a trend. Thanks for clearing it up.

2326.8.2003 01:06
QUAKEDS
Inactive

WAIT WAIT,,,,,, NO WAY THE HULK with a (II)part JAJJAJAA Do We really want that ?,,, don't we,,,,jijiji,, The hulk in the comics is great,(rocks),,but they really did not make any homework and spend sometime researching or they do not have the comic book in Japan some how,or,or or may be and just may be they just got confused with Shrek and try to add a second part,because the Shrek is a good movie but the Hulk is terrrrree@#23 If The Hulk is coming with a second one ,,pleaseeeeeeee take my advice and listen to your friends ------> (p2p) ps MPAA arias (moro@#@#ns)

2426.8.2003 06:53

The Hulk and Gigli could have floppe any worse if they were fish on a table ( and I hate fish) come to think about it they both stunk as bad as day old fish to. Hulk was crap because they through out the origonal story created by marvelyears ago that had a following for Decades... and Hollywood screwed that up. now J-lo couldnt even attract the sales even with her legs spread ... it brings to mind ... Eyes Wide shut, and the only people who like Nichol Kidmon in that also like little boys or their preist.... anyway when they quit making 2-3 hr boreatons and give us a 90 min show that has a story and actors not wanabies. ps if they think that we the peps arnt going to tell our freinds that something sucked then they dont know the american public to well do they.....

256.10.2003 11:23
parkwood
Inactive

Since when did have movies been all about making money? have they forgotten about the real reason why movies were first made? I understand everyone has to get paid for their work...but i mean common, don't get greedy now. And a little advice, "movie industry"...if you want to make a good movie, do something daring and different. something to where people will IM thier friends and say..."you gotta see this movie is was soooo different." Totally excluding thier opinion of whether it was good or not. --peace

266.10.2003 12:13

Now that we´re on the subject. I just saw a really good movie, it wasn´t all that different, but good. Identity, go check it out if it still runs in the theatre.

276.10.2003 15:32
parkwood
Inactive

I am using the power of this forum to let everyone know that 'Once upon a time in Mexico' is probably one of the best movies i've seen in a really long time. I suggest you all take a look for yourself dispite what people may have said. Also check out 'school of rock'. another really really really good movie that is out now.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive