AfterDawn: Tech news

Comcast talks about 150 Megabit Cable technology

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 10 May 2007 2:03 User comments (49)

Comcast talks about 150 Megabit Cable technology At The Cable Show conference in Las Vegas this week, Comcast CEO Brian Roberts unveiled a new cable modem technology that could bring amazing speeds of 150 megabits per second. Roberts said the technology would be a good way to compete with lower cost DSL and the significantly faster FiOS. FiOS currently offers up to 50 megabits.
The new technology, Version 3.0 of the DOCSIS standard, is developed by the Cable Television Laboratories which represents all of the cable providers in the country. The new technology utilizes four channels to send data instead of just one and that "channel bonding" would enable speeds 25 times higher than most current cable modems can handle.

Roberts added that manufacturers are planning to submit DOCSIS 3.0 modems for certification later this year, and that he hopes to see the technology in the homes of customers within a couple years.

Source:
betaNews

Previous Next  

49 user comments

110.5.2007 14:19
flyingv
Inactive

This sound great but how much more are they going to ask for it? Now I already pay $44.95 + $3.00 month for modem rental. Works great, but for a price! It's about time for something new to come out.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 May 2007 @ 2:20

210.5.2007 14:37

This is relatively new and its gonna take some time to get across to everyone. I feel this is good but still to early to tell if its going to succeeded.

310.5.2007 14:39

I still haven't seen much about the new 30 megabit cable technology that is out now. But this would be amazing. Imagine how much more we will be able to get done with this new technology. I think it's about time for another generation of high speed internet.

410.5.2007 14:56

That speed is for one customer on the line. Wait until multiple homes uses the same lines and then for cable tv. That speed will drop by 80%. just like when cable internet first came out. It was fast and when everyone got it, it dropped speed very quickly. Verizns FIOS does not do that because it is independant and runs through fiber optic cables which has no bandwidth capacity. The only capacity with FIOS is the servers processing speed on each end of the cable.

510.5.2007 14:57

i think it's just talk cable companies are already limiting your speeds

610.5.2007 15:32

theyd give you massively fast speeds but only give you like a 10 gig download limit or their bandwidth costs would go through the roof.

on a side note if this became mainstream the RIAA and MPAA loses their war hands down, mainstream use of this would be like dropping the atomic bomb on hiroshima

710.5.2007 18:07

@ AlmostOz... Haha, what a random comparison, (Hiroshima.)

However... These is a competitor that is significantly slower than FiOS. Perhaps in the future instead of DSL vs Cable with DSL as the slower service it will be Cable vs FiOS with Cable being slower.

Why buy this when you could get FioS...

810.5.2007 18:12

Originally posted by Moomoo2:
Are we reading the same article? You would be buying this because it would be faster than FioS.

3 times faster, in case the math confused you.

910.5.2007 22:51

Quote:
shammy80 (Newbie) 10 May 2007 18:56 _
That speed is for one customer on the line. Wait until multiple homes uses the same lines and then for cable tv. That speed will drop by 80%. just like when cable internet first came out. It was fast and when everyone got it, it dropped speed very quickly. Verizns FIOS does not do that because it is independant and runs through fiber optic cables which has no bandwidth capacity. The only capacity with FIOS is the servers processing speed on each end of the cable.
This is not a problem in areas that have more modern equipment. I have Comcast Calbe... Timer Warner now actually. They have all new equipment through out the city and it doesn't matter how many users there are the bandwidth stays above 6mbps. I believe they're using a fiber optic backbone or they just have enough nodes to accommodate every user online without dropping bandwidth. I would be willing to bet a fiber backbone since 90% of the fiber that was laid through out the metroplex was never used for 20yrs.

1011.5.2007 01:24

the only trouble is are they going to charge you 80 a month for net?

the big ISPs both cable and DSL need to breakup their offerings into more reasonable packages so more people can get on board band

Cable/DSL
down/up in KBS

60/20 19.99

100/30 25.00

400/100 40$

beyond 400KBS (which the net barely runs at) should be more premium unless the network has made it part of their backbone most people are still using dialup because its under 25 a month board band needs to get off its ass and reinvent its prices, hell a soiled 20 KBPS line(dialup is a solid 3-6KBPS) is worth at least 15 ,with the power the big ISPs have don't tell me they cant do it......

1111.5.2007 06:58

I LOVE COMCAST. THEY'RE AWESOME IN TERMS OF ANY OTHER COMPETITION! SCREW EMBARQ, BRIGHT HOUSE AND AT&T!

1211.5.2007 07:10

Originally posted by Shinraboy:
I LOVE COMCAST. THEY'RE AWESOME IN TERMS OF ANY OTHER COMPETITION! SCREW EMBARQ, BRIGHT HOUSE AND AT&T!
thats because they have a nice monopoly going ^^

1311.5.2007 07:59

Cable does run Fiber, but then they go to coax from the telephone pole to the house. That is what kills the bandwidth. I work for Verizon and the FIOS fiber optic cable goes all the way doen to the house. Cable may have somem ways of getting faster speeds but I beleive the FIOS is more reliable. Especially when you put HD television on it. Plus you can get 15MB download by 5MB upload from Verizon for about $39.95.

1411.5.2007 08:13

Originally posted by shammy80:
Cable does run Fiber, but then they go to coax from the telephone pole to the house. That is what kills the bandwidth. I work for Verizon and the FIOS fiber optic cable goes all the way doen to the house. Cable may have somem ways of getting faster speeds but I beleive the FIOS is more reliable. Especially when you put HD television on it. Plus you can get 15MB download by 5MB upload from Verizon for about $39.95.
we just got digi cable and DSL in the area they talked about 10MB streams if you have the Cable service as well as the DSL,I might be getting 2MB right now but hell it beats 130$ sat net I had I did have comcast when I was in the city it was nice but frankly DSL can offer as good a service if they try.

1511.5.2007 11:40

Quote:
Originally posted by Moomoo2:
Are we reading the same article? You would be buying this because it would be faster than FioS.

3 times faster, in case the math confused you.
Eh, you know you're tired when...

heh

1611.5.2007 19:18

wasn't comcast the same company that advertised unlimited bandwidth but actually has a limit and has been known to shut you connection of with out notice if you reach the limit

1712.5.2007 06:03

Comcast is going insane on the upgrades. Believe what this guy is saying. I used to get 3mbit down under Adelphia. Comcast bought them in South Florida, and in the last couple of bills say they are boosting everyone. Now I get around 6mbit down. Zero bill increase.

1812.5.2007 06:57

just wait for this to come out then it will be this vs fios then they can start the price slashing on boths sides.

1912.5.2007 08:32

lol comcast just took over here in roanoke virginia I live at smith mountain lake and the office is a good 20 miles from here yet they are not offering it here but 5 minutes one way is verizon 5 minutes the other way is comcast 6mb I'm been stuck like this for 2 years, and they want to upgrade everywhere else, lol

2012.5.2007 12:49

Hey Tech Guy, I'm a Verizon employee. Send me an email at George.C.Shamblin@verizon.com and I'll give you some pricing on FIOS TV, 15MB Fios internet and unlimited phone calling. I handle the states of VA and MD. Comcast can give good speeds but it is only for the first 20 MB that you download. It is a speed burst and then slows down after that. Then Comcast/Cox has a bandwidth capacity to where if you download too much, they will fine you...That's right, actually fine you and cut off your service. They won't tell you that though. The Fios gives you your own dedicated line to where you don't share your bandwidth with everyone else in the neighborhood also. So the speed that you get is not a burst and stays constant. Then also look at the customer service and customer satisfaction of cable. It is horrible. And I used to work for cable. LOL What was I thinking.

2112.5.2007 12:53

Also 15 MB is not the limit on fiber. There is 5MB download by 2MB upload, 15MB download by 5MB upload, and 50MB download by 15 MB upload. Most people don't realize how important your upload speed is. Where fiber is pushing TV including HDTV, the picture quality and sound quality beats any cable or satellite provider out there.

2212.5.2007 13:44

shammy80
I ran 150-400KBS 24 7 for days on end never got hit by the bandwidth nazis, it has more to do with area and network load thats when the throttling begins.

2312.5.2007 18:11

Comcast needs to get their current act together before they start into new ventures. It seems fairly regularly that my cable works, but the Internet does not. Get a dummy rep on the phone, and all they can do for me is to schedule a service tech to come out next week between the hours of 8am and 5pm. Internet ends up working again before the tech shows. This is an endlessly repeating cycle.

Cable isn't that much better. I love the random bits of pixilation inserted into just about everything on the movie channels.

However, being that I happily pay them over $150 a month, I can't complain all that much.

2414.5.2007 08:20

I'm a Comcast customer and they say for $54.95, one can get a 1.5 MBs connection. I pay that now so I called them up and asked why I am paying the higher monthly rate but only getting 512 KBs. The Comcast person said that all lines are limited to 512 KBs. I then asked him several times how Comcast can advertise that they have a 1.5 MBs service if all lines are limited to a slower speed. The Comcast flunky kept changing the subject.

Seems to me that there is a little bit of false advertising going on here....

I will believe Comcast has a higher speed service when I see it.

2514.5.2007 08:29

Originally posted by dufas:
I'm a Comcast customer and they say for $54.95, one can get a 1.5 MBs connection. I pay that now so I called them up and asked why I am paying the higher monthly rate but only getting 512 KBs. The Comcast person said that all lines are limited to 512 KBs. I then asked him several times how Comcast can advertise that they have a 1.5 MBs service if all lines are limited to a slower speed. The Comcast flunky kept changing the subject.

================================================================
funny they advertise 6MB connections in Chattanooga :X

Commie cast is not to be trusted to many cost cutting practices leveled on the backs of the consumer they might offer better speed but you dont get what you are paying for half the time.

2614.5.2007 08:37

dufas you're getting the run-around.

See if any other of your Comcast neighbors have poor speeds.

$50 for only 1.5mbit is very poor. My data service is bundled with video, now, so I can't tell exactly what I'm paying (so very clever on their part). It used to be $40/$40 for data/video.

Shop around. Even if there is nothing else around you, call and tell them you are going to cancel if they can't do anything about the speed. Make them work to keep you.

From http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ : Florida :

hsd1.fl.comcast.net

Speed
Communications 3.9 megabits per second
Storage 480.3 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 2.1 seconds
Subjective rating Awesome

Info
Date & time Monday, May 14, 10:26AM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type Cable
Region Florida
Data size 1024KB

2714.5.2007 09:13

ZzeusS
if I really want to benchmark my bandwidth speeds I check 3 or 4 places then so how a large file from a reputable sever downloads at.

truthfully I am happy with my 200KBPS cap its 1.5MB DSL which should cap at 150KBPS there is no cable ent here and only 1 DSL provider since I am in a rural town been here a year went from dailup to sat net and now on DSL if sat net didn't dck with the speeds I would have kept it a year longer but I dropped them and going to get a nice 500$ bill from them any day now :X

had to shell out 200$ to get DSL installed 90$ install 100 deposit so far worth every penny even dropped netflix sicne I am back on fansubs *cuddles unrestricted net* I so wuv uuuuu :X

2814.5.2007 11:23

i believe you might just be confused! a BIT is a single character of data. a BYTE is made up of 8 BITS of data. are you sure you have a 1.5 MegaBYTE connection and not a 1.5 MegaBIT connection? i cant recall exactly what my connection speed is rated at but i know that i get speeds of over 6 MegaBITS download (~750 KiloBYTES) with burst speeds over 1.5 MegaBYTES per second. those are very good numbers overall. its actually, if anything, a little subpar for my area. but like i said, make sure that you are sure what you are talking about. if you are incorrect and it really is a 1.5 MegaBIT connection, then you should be throwing more money at comcast for you getting 512 Kilobytes download. that would mean that you actually have a 4 MegaBIT connection and are actually only paying for a 1.5 MegaBIT connection ;)

2914.5.2007 11:30

ya so 1.5Mb translates to 150.00KBPS or so

6Mb to 600.00KBPS

and so on

3014.5.2007 11:34

Originally posted by ZIppyDSM:
ya so 1.5Mb translates to 150.00KBPS or so

6Mb to 600.00KBPS

and so on
not quite but close. its not 1/10th of the "speed" but 1/8th. like i said tho, close.

3114.5.2007 11:40

wickedzx5
my 1.5Mb line runs 190-200 so I am happy :P

I use the 1/10th as a quick comparison if tis running at or over 1/10th theres nothing to complain about :S

3214.5.2007 12:12

Originally posted by ZIppyDSM:
wickedzx5
my 1.5Mb line runs 190-200 so I am happy :P

I use the 1/10th as a quick comparison if tis running at or over 1/10th theres nothing to complain about :S
haha yea thats fine. i wasnt making fun of you, just pointing out the fact for "dufas" (lol) so he wasnt even more confused by my original post

3314.5.2007 13:29

When I determine speeds I always just divide what ever number by 8 and get the actual max speed. That works with pretty much any computer speed, like USB speeds and eithernet speeds too.

3414.5.2007 14:29

I know the difference between bits and bytes. 1.5 MB/s mega bytes..not mega bits 1.5 mb/s

I have tested my connection all over the planet.

The last test was

File Size
2.9297 MB
Time Elapsed
31.938 seconds

which in my book is not really high speed......

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 May 2007 @ 2:34

3514.5.2007 19:30

I know the difference between bits and bytes. 1.5 MB/s mega bytes..not mega bits 1.5 mb/s

I have tested my connection all over the planet.

The last test was

File Size
2.9297 MB
Time Elapsed
31.938 seconds

which in my book is not really high speed......
well then i guess you do have a problem and should take it up with your ISP. even at the speeds you stated earlier, it should take you <10 seconds to download that ~3 MB file. 32 seconds is outrageous. you definately arent getting the 512 KB/s you said you were. you are only getting a little over 90 KB/s. of course there are alot of things that can effect the speed of your download, but on a dedicated server used to measure your download speed, you should get close to your max. try running a test at speedtest.net and see what it says.

also, at the site i just told you about, they have a thing where you can compare your results to averages in almost any form. you can compare your speed to others in your area/state/country. see how you stack up to the people in your area and if you are that much worse, then you know you have a problem.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 May 2007 @ 7:32

3615.5.2007 10:00

Maybe I mis-spoke... 512KB/s was what Comcast sold me as the minimum speed, I have never got that speed.

I am sort of stuck because the only alternative is dial-up and satellite. Satellite, at least here, starts at $140.00 a month and goes up from there. I have had dial-up and the phone company was out here every month to check the line for both voice and network. I finally canceled my phone and use cellphone only.

I not only contacted Comcast to check the lines and the broadband setup, but also to ask why they can advertise the high speeds that they do, but automatically limit the top speed to what I am supposed to have.

They made about the same sense as one of the dial-up services that I once had. In their manual, they state that if you CANNOT connect to the internet, log on to their home site and read the directions on the help page.... [Let's see, I cannot connect, so I have to go to their home page for help] ????????

I have gone to various speed sites and they all report nearly the same...I think there is a bad or corroded connection somewhere in the Comcast cable.

As far as my nick "dufas'...although it usually denotes a numbskull, this is the nickname my daughter and her schoolmates gave me. It comes from a painting and and a comic strip character of the same name that I drew for her school. It visually depicts the benefits of civility, manners, and fair play with the thread of not prejudging others running through the story lines. The school used the work in one of their class curriculums.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 May 2007 @ 10:01

3724.5.2007 23:38

Ummm... I'm paying for 8 mbit / 768 kbit .... I'm getting around 21 mbit / 1.5 mbit... Ever get a 4.7 GB ISO in under an hour?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 24 May 2007 @ 11:42

3824.5.2007 23:48

wickedzx5
No biggie zippy is zippy and zippy is a idiot :P

Originally posted by Kelxin:
Ummm... I'm paying for 8 mbit / 768 kbit .... I'm getting around 21 mbit / 1.5 mbit... Ever get a 4.7 GB ISO in under an hour?

yikes what service are you on?

when I was on comcast the highest it ever got was 400KBPS,they said if I got the digital cable they could put a full 10mbit to the box but I dun think I can afford 130 a month for net right now *L*
sure i would have digi cable to but I hate TV :P

3925.5.2007 00:02
aabbccdd
Inactive

mine tested out at 9.5 megabits per second

BTW Comcast is buying out our cable company by the end of the year

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 25 May 2007 @ 12:03

4025.5.2007 05:06

I've gotten a true 2.0 mega bits. It flew but it doesn't happen very often. I have what ever the fastest version of comcast is right now. I think 12 mb or 16 mb. It might be 12 mb with 16 mb burst or something like that. But after their last speed upgrade it was the fastest thing I could find.

4125.5.2007 06:26

Before i got rid of my Comcast Tv and internet. I was paying for 8mbps down and 768k up but it was always faster like 15mbps down and 1.5 up. The highest was 23mbps with the burst. Some days my speed did vary so it was not always like that but for the most part it was good. That was the only satisfying part of their service for me.

4224.10.2007 23:57
maggotjoe
Inactive

I've actually gotten 30 mb/s from speedtest and speakeasy's speedtest

my friend unbelievabley once got like 113 mb/s but we think it was a glitch

4325.10.2007 08:39

Speed is no problem here...But how about unblocking Port 25 to send outgoing emails via Outlook?!

4425.10.2007 08:46

Originally posted by pryme_H:
Speed is no problem here...But how about unblocking Port 25 to send outgoing emails via Outlook?!
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.js...ok_Express17739
seems they and others have blocked port 25

Quote:
Now select the Advanced tab from the list at the top. In the Server Port Numbers section, make sure that your Outgoing mail (SMTP): port is set to 587. In the Incoming mail (POP3): field, make sure the number is set to 110. ClickOK when you have completed verifying all of the above information.

4525.10.2007 09:45

ZippyDSM,
Thanks for the link. I have set Port 587 for my outgoing emails but to no avail. I have MS Office Outlook 2003, by the way. I have dual accounts. My account is working just fine. It's my wife's account that doesn't work (even changed Port 25 to 587). Please advice...Thank you very much!

4625.10.2007 17:38

ZippyDSM,
Thanks for the link. I have set Port 587 for my outgoing emails but to no avail. I have MS Office Outlook 2003, by the way. I have dual accounts. My account is working just fine. It's my wife's account that doesn't work (even changed Port 25 to 587). Please advice...Thank you very much!
if its working on one but not the other it could be a firewall issue.

4726.10.2007 07:43

Zippy,
Thanks again. I will try to tweak my firewall settings and see if it'll work.

4826.10.2007 07:51

150MB!!! Thats damn fast

4926.10.2007 08:01

Zippy,
Thanks again. I will try to tweak my firewall settings and see if it'll work.
I try and help but cant always find my way out of a paper bag,a friewall programs can be the cause tho I have ran 2 diff PCs and one decided to be quriky one day, all the same OS/program/what not.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive