1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

spyware sweeper

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by RXV2300, Jun 27, 2007.

1. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Just finished downloading spyware sweeper 5.5.1 off torent site.
    I have been able to fully download, install & run it (actually it even found 5 types of trojan horse)
    However when I try to update it with latest definitions it first brings me to their website then it says we can't find your purchase in our database, contact customer service.
    Of course, I won't be contacting them but what are my options if I wish to update definitions.
    Thank you,

2. navskin

navskin Regular member

look for nod21 that will get them out get a full version off a torrent site the best antivirus you can get and it also dose spyware.
    scan your full computer with it.

3. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Is this another software? Is NOD21 name of it?

4. navskin

navskin Regular member

yes it is another software the name of it is NOD32 my typing is bad lol. here is the home page for nod32

www.eset.com

5. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Thank you, I have installed it, but how do I run a scan?
    I am not able to find any folder with options which will allow me to run a scan. Can you pls. give me some guide if you are familiar with this software.
    Is the also spyware as well or antivirus only?
    Thank you,

6. navskin

navskin Regular member

hi here is what you need to do to do a virus scan on nod32 and yes it dose spyware it dose anything you can think of.

to scan for a virus

1. go to start

2. all programs

3. eset

4. then there are two icons you want the one that says nod32 not the one that says nod32 control center.

5. click that you will see an window then you will see some buttons at the bottom of the screen click the one that says scan & clean.

than you are done if that dose not get them out then get back to me that program stops alot of unwanted stuff on your computer that you dont need.

graham.

7. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Thank you, it seems to work but it takes hell of a time to do it's
    clean/scan, over 3 hrs. Is this possible?

Another question concerning Spy sweeper 5.5.1
    Rememebr I mentioned that it won't let me to update definitions because I'm not registered in their web site.
    Is it becuase it's been downloaded off torent sites, or do I need to find another one that will allow me to update definitions without prompting me to their official website?

8. navskin

navskin Regular member

what do you want spy sweeper for when nod32 dose everthing i would recermend nod32 to anyone. it dose

spyware
    adaware
    malware
    worms and a lot more.

have a look on a torrent site for it you should get a fix with it lasts forever.

i would not bother with spy sweeper just use nod32 its a lot better.
    it took so long to scan because it removed all the crap form your system, if you scan it now it will not take as long.

navskin

9. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

I had Spysweeper for some time and they started that access to their website thing some time ago to battle the pirated versions. I do not think there is a viable version out that does not do this.

Spysweeper is a bad system hog anyways. It is not an AV-only spyware stuff.

Nod32 is recognized as the best AV by every review I have seen. I have not read anything about its abilities on other malware. So I do not know.

NOD32 is an AV, so if you have another AV already on your computer, you will have to disable it if running NOD32 for realtime protection.

10. navskin

navskin Regular member

i think nod32 is the best AV you can get it says somewhere that t covers everthing i also like the way its always updating nd the way you do not have to restart your computer after an update.

11. sjb007

sjb007 Member

Nod32 is a resident virus scanner NOT a malware scanner, two different things entirely. However, alongside Kaspersky AV, Nod is the best AV you can get :)
    There is a version of Nod32 called Smart Security that has a malware scanner on board but this is still in beta stages at the mo and therefore stability of the software cannot be garuanteed.

For a fully functional malware scanner try SUPERAntyiSpyware or AVG Antispyware

12. jeffw224

jeffw224 Regular member

sjb007

I thought the same thing about NOD32 being AV only, but apparently they have made the move to try and cover all. Does not appear to be Beta:

http://www.eset.com/products/index.php

But I agree with you on SAS and AVG AS being a better anti-malware choice.

13. sjb007

sjb007 Member

Howdy :)

No doubt Nod is excellent (I use it myself as part of my main security), I still wouldnt trust an AV to stop malware fully - even though the link supplied looks promising, it states it stops over 90% of malware which is great but what about the 1-9 % it misses.. but then again I guess you could sat that about other malware scaners too! would be nice to see reports from it tested fully on the malware front by experts and developers. I guess im just an old dog believing in the old ways !

PS - The beta version is most definatly in beta stage and is available here -> (ESET Smart Security BETA 1b) http://www.eset.eu/sk/eset-smart-security-public-beta-1

Will be nice to see it out of beta stage though when the time comes.

14. cactikid

cactikid Active member

i have nod 32 and also antivir guard as the later seems to detect zlob when i do a nod clean and sweep. it does nothing for spyware.

15. jony218

jony218 Guest

I have spyware sweeper (paid version) and to me it's a very good product. This is one area where you do have to pay or at least get a free version, because you have to have the latest definitions at all times.
    I have spyware terminater (free version) on my other computer and it seems to work ok. You might want to give that a try. It gets updated regularly.
    http://www.spywareterminator.com/

Also you need to run your browser through this free program "dropmyrights" it prevents your browser from making changes to your system files.
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fi...age,1-c,moreantispywaretools/description.html

my computer
    firefox 2.0 (running through dropmyrights)
    zone alarm firewall
    spyware sweeper
    avg free antivirus

Haven't had a virus problem in over a year with this configuration.