1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

no sound on dvd burned made from convertx2dvd

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by maureens, Aug 4, 2007.

1. maureens

maureens Member

I have been trying to burn a dvd from my hard drive with convertx2dvd. I chose all the files in the video_ts folder and added them into convertx2dvd. When I look at the properties I do not see an audio stream listed. I know the dvd has audio since I have burned it with other programs. When I burn it with other programs the sound comes out fine (but the video will not play properly). However when I take this same group of files and use them with convertx2dvd the burned dvd has no sound. Video plays and subtitles come out fine in my stand alone player but no sound. I have made screen shots of the files in the video_ts folder and of convertx2dvd where I have loaded the files in and it shows there is no audio.

The dvd was originally a ratdvd that was converted back to regular dvd with the ratdvd program. It in the PAL format and uses ac3 for audio.

Can someone please help me to find out what I am doing wrong?

2. attar

attar Senior member

If ConvertX is not displaying audio from the source folder, then either there is no audio or there is a problem with ConvertX.
    Run GSpot.
    From the same source folder that you use for ConvertX, drag VTS_01_1.VOB onto GSpot.
    Verify that there is an entry in the Audio area.
    You can also try to play the file using the buttons.
    Press '1' to render the file, pres '2' to play.The video and audio will play.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/GSpot270a.zip

[​IMG]

3. maureens

maureens Member

OK I ran g-spot and it says that there is:
    ac3 audio
    0xbd[0x80]:48000Hz 192 kb/s tot , stereo (2/0)

(sorry I do not know how to attach the file of my screen shot here)

SO yes there is audio ther how come convertx2dvd does not "see" it?

4. attar

attar Senior member

Is this issue with ConvertX confined to this one DVD file?
    Can you load other DVD folders or AVI files and see the audio properties ok.
    If it's confined to one file and others of the same type are ok, then it would indicate that ConvertX is ok, however you might try the freeware version and see if the symptoms are the same.

http://dl.afterdawn.com/vsoDivxToDVD_setup_v0.5.2b.exe
    Import the file(s) (AVI, WMV,MPEG, VOB)
    Output (standard DVD file format) to a folder on the HDD.
    Set 'Aspect' to 4:3 (if you have a regular tv)
    Set 'Standard' to NTSC (if you live in North America)

5. maureens

maureens Member

Yes its this file. I have not had problems with other files.

6. attar

attar Senior member

Try to load the file in DVD Shrink:
    http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/dvdshrink32setup.zip
    DVD Shrink can load standard DVD files from folders (VIDEO_TS).
    If it loads them ok, have it back them up to a new folder or (if you have Nero installed) let it link to Nero and burn them to disk.

Run DVD Shrink:'Open Files' choose the folder with the DVD files.
    Click 'Backup!'
    'Target Device' / 'Select backup target'

The only other alternative I see is to Demux the files and Remux into a new movie.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2007
  7. maureens

maureens Member

I tried using dvd shrink but the dvd that I burned from it would not play in my stand alone player. It had the sound but the video was "jumpy". Is there some etting I need to tweak in dvdshrink to make the dvds I make from it play in my stand alone player?

8. maureens

maureens Member

here is some more background.

I used the ratdvd prgram to convert the ratdvd file back to regular dvd. It created a folder called video_ts on my hard drive that has VOB files etc. I also used the ratdvd prgram to create image file that could be burned.

First I tried to burn the image onto DVD with imageburn and the resulting DVD would not play in my stand alone player.

Then I tried using DVD shrink. I took the files from the video_ts folder and put them in dvdshrink. When it finished its conversion it burned a DVD with imageburn as well. This DVD had "jumpy" playback in my stand alone player. I could hear the sound though.

Next I tried putting the files from the video_ts folder into convertx2dvd. The DVD that was burned from this had great video and subtitles but no sound. When I looked at the settings in the main window of cnvertx2dvd I could see it was saying that there was 0 audio streams. But I know the dvd has audio and its in ac3 format since I looked at the VOB files in g-spot.

I do not know how to attach the images of my screen shots of all these programs or I would post them so you could see them.

This dvd has subtitles and I want to preserve them.

Can you point me to a guide about muxing if that is what I need to do?

9. attar

attar Senior member

Just to be safe are you using media that is either made in Japan (on the label) or 'Verbatim' and is it being burned (with ImgBurn)at 4x max, because the symptoms on the DVD player sound like a media problem.

10. maureens

maureens Member

No, its not a media problem. When I use the exact same media and burn with convertx2dvd I get an video that plays perfectly but with no sound. When I used dvdshrink/imageburn combo I get sound but a picture that jumps.

11. attar

attar Senior member

Normally I would only use this to add a new audio or subtitle.
    It was only because it looked like the files that ConvertX was using were non standard that I mentioned demuxing the DVD files..to create a new, standard set of files.

Run Rejig:

IFO Mode
    Click 'Add' and open VTS_01_0.IFO
    Select Video, Audio and subtitles.
    100% compression (I assume the files don't have to be compressed to fit)
    Correct AC3 delay
    Convert subs
    Process to output directory, then quit.

DVD Author
    Load the input streams, select an output folder and 'Create'

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ReJig

[​IMG]

12. maureens

maureens Member

SUCCESS!

Yes this FINALLY did it! I did exactly what you said, I imported the IFO file into rejig on ifo mode and selected the video, audio, and subtitle and processed them. When that was done I swtiched to DVD author mode and hit create. It created a new video_ts folder on my hard drive. I opened convertx2dvd and then put all the new VOB files in there and ran it. The DVD that it burned played perfectly (subtitles and all) in my stand alone player!! YAY!!!!

Thanks SO much!!

13. attar

attar Senior member

Okey-dokey.