1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Luminance resolution vs. digital pixel resolution

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by supercopy, Sep 17, 2007.

1. supercopy

supercopy Member

I quote the following sentence from
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8_mm_video_format
    which reads:
    "Both Hi8 and SVHS were officially rated at a luminance resolution of 420 horizontal TV/lines (566x480 in today's digital terms), a vast improvement from their respective base-formats of 240 lines and roughly equal to laserdisc quality."

I fail to understand how does "420 horizontal TV/lines" become 566*480. First of all, I understand that "horizontal lines" are counted up and down along the Y (vertical) axis, so it should only affect the 480 vertical resolution. Are the missing 60 lines eaten up by overscan or something?

More importantly, what is a reasonable resolution for digitally capturing Video8 and Hi8 sources? 640*480 for the latter?

2. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

Keep in mind the "Horizontal resolution" is the horizontal lines of resolution over the same video height, that is, 1:1. A standard TV is 4:3. So, for example, DVD's 540 lines of Horizontal Resolution x 1.33 come out to approximately 720 pixels across.

Calculating backwards, 566/1.33 = 425, which is roughly the Horizontal resolution of Hi-8. So that's likely where the 566 x 480 comes from.

If I was capturing SVHS or Hi-8 I wouldn't quibble over the finer points, I'd slam it at 720 x 480.

3. supercopy

supercopy Member

Got it, thanks MoonRocks.