1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s2emu help!! - ProgDVB

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by ebowdia2, Sep 17, 2007.

1. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

I am using a dvb-t USB stick to receive Ch*r*S MMDS in Cork. I am using BlazeTV as my viewer, but also have ProgDVB. I am detecting a number of channels but all are encoded.

I am trying to use s2emu to decode the channels but am not really sure where to locate the files concerned, and how to input the current Ch*r*S codes.

Anyone know what to do here?

2. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Copy s2emu.dll and softcam.key to the folder progdvb/plugins.
    The keys are already included in the files floating around the net.

3. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

Thanks mgb17, will give it a shot.

Reason I asked was because all the s2emu packages I found had UK only codes for Ch*r*S in them, couldn't find any with Irish??

One other question. I've only been able to pick up 19 channels after manualling scanning from 200000Khz to 400000Khz with 2000Khz intervals, finding these stations on three frequencies. My settings are OFDM Mode 8K, QAM64, Code Rate 2/3, Guard Interval 1/32, Bandwidth 8MHz.

There are about eight frequencies though where a strong signal is found, but no channels are found. Do you know what is going on here??

4. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

5. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

Cheers mgb17, will try when I get home.

Any suggestion about my second problem? - There are about eight frequencies though where a strong signal is found, but no channels are found. Do you know what is going on here??

6. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

I did what you said mgb17 regarding the 0144.ini file you provided me and where to put the appropriate s2emu files in ProgDVB, and at last, progress!

First, I had istalled an older stable ProgDVB version (v4.85.3). This version finds 90 odd channels, and groups them into two groups "UPC Network" and "Undefined Network". The "UPC" group contains only the channels @ transponder 314MHz - there's about 8 of them, History, M&M, Playboy, PPV etc. I can view 7 of the 8 of these. After viewing these though, when I try, I can't view any of the remaining channels in the Undefined Network.

By chance, after a reboot I then tried one of the Undefined Network channels first, before any UPC ones, and I was able to view about half of them, but then none of the UPC channels. Wierd eh - depending on which group I try first, I fail with channels of the other.

I've also noticed that on some channels in say the undefined group, I may not be able to view them, but after a reboot I may, and vice versa. Also, the program often crashes, and after starting it up again (without a reboot) you may or may not be able to view channels you were just looking at - a reboot is usually required.

I decided to upgrade the ProgDVB, but with the latest installed (v5.10.03 Test), 90 odd channels are found again, but I can't view any of them. Each has the red lock turning green in the bottom left hand corner, as with the preview version, but the viewing window stays black.

Any ideas?

Any help greatly appreciated :)

7. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

8. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

Progdvb 4.85.3 installed and also applied the hotfix, but same problems.

Some channels decrypt, some don't, but the main problem is the program crashing on channel changes a lot. This wouldn't be so bad if I could just start is up again and continue, but on restarting usually I can't watch ANY channels - this is only solved with a reboot, and then it's groundhog day.

The crash reports usually points to "quartz.dll" and "ProgDvbEngine.dll" related errors, and reading through the forum @ progdvb.com, they're common, but no one seems to have a definitive solution....

9. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Go to progdvb settings -> options and set the CPU usage from "above normal" to "normal".
    If the problem still exists go to settings -> audio/video -> directshow and select progdvb video renderer in the video renderer drop down menue.

10. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

Thanks mgb17, I'll give it a shot tonight........

11. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

Well, first of all I changed the the CPU usage from "above normal" to "normal" - my problems still existed.

Then I selected the Progdvb Video Renderer in the video renderer drop down menue - this helped the problems greatly.

However, the program is still crashing from time to time - seems to be when the Quality and Level percentages are below 50% - say about 45% each on certain channels. When the percentages are higher (most are about 50% Q and 60% L) there is no problem.

Is there any way I can set the program to be less sensitive, because every time this happens a reboot is required!

12. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

A booster or distribution amp between mmds power inserter and pc would be maybe better.
    The booster/amp should support the full range 50 to 850 mhz.

13. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

Think a booster is the way to go alright, my levels are a bit on the low side - some channels are breaking up now and again.

Good news though - I seem to have fixed the crashing problem by using the Intel version of progdvbengine.dll for the 4.x family - downloaded from progdvb.com. Swapped it for the one I had installed that came as standard with 4.85.3 and it made the difference straight away - done 100+ channel changes in the last hour or so and no crashes, result!

I'll get a booster at the weekend and let you know how I get on.........

14. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

Got a booster yesterday supporting the full range from 50 to 850 mhz and my problems are solved, happy days!!

Also got working on Vista Ultimate too, following the same ProgDVB config recommendations for XP that you've recommeneded for my setup.

Thanks again for your help on this mgb17, much appreciated :)

15. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The last problem is the elecard mpeg2 decoder from progdvb. The thing is shareware and expire after 21 days and give you nagging writing after that date.
    You can use instead a other mpeg2 decoder which is installed at your pc. For instance the one from BlazeHDTV.

16. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

Would the BlazeHDTV mpeg2 decoder be selected in the same way (settings -> audio/video -> directshow)??

I'm away for a few days and can't check at the mo....

17. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

Try progdvb 5.11 and read the preconditions.
    You can choose the mpeg2 decoder directly in 5.11.

18. ebowdia2

ebowdia2 Member

Cheers mate.....

19. Jimme

Jimme Regular member

Hi mgb17 and ebowdia2,
    I've found this thread very helpful. I'm picking up a few channels on Chorus MMDS and I've been informed (thanks to mgb17) that I might have the wrong transponder list. I have tried to download the 0144.ini file you speak of in this thread, but the link must have changed. Would you be able to point me in the direction of the correct transponder list. Thanks a million.

20. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member