1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WGA

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by messalina, Sep 17, 2007.

1. messalina

messalina Member

My question is: Will any software from Microsoft that was not bought by me place a WGA on my computer? Is there any software that can be shared by users without getting a "Get Genuine" tag on you comp? In particular, Microsoft Office.

2. deadlove

deadlove Guest

What is there to say? I haven't ever seen a "get genuine" thing ever.. but all the windoze machines I ever see are full to the brim with pirated software anyway, from the OS down..

What I don't get (and probably never will) is what exactly is the advantage? It's the same buggy crap you can get for free, only it's cost a bomb usually...

Why not just ditch M$ office completely and go for open office instead.. It's better, supports more iso standard document formats and is TOTALLY FREE for home use. http://www.openoffice.org/

remember the magic word. FREE!!

want a publisher replacement for brochures and flyers etc?? try scribus.. http://www.scribus.net/ (magic word time again)

Burning disks?? http://www.imgburn.com/ (magic word)

ripping cd's and making music for your ipod?? dbpoweramp! http://www.dbpoweramp.com/ (no idea if that's free.. mine was)

and the list can go on and on and on... forget M$ and friends.. they just want as much of your cash for minimal product as they can get

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2007
  3. messalina

messalina Member

Lol...I like your post. our humor is endearing. Well, be lucky you've never seen a WGA especially on your machine. Do you work in an office, or are these home owners? I guess the WGA is how the rich get richer. Nothing agianst a man prtecting is investment but this is ridiculous. Especially in view of the controversy swirling around this d*mned concept. My problems started when I had my WXP validated.

Anyway, They offer you a 6 mos. free trial with MO and I may do that while trying to save for a newer comp. Notice I said "NEWER". :) I did however, bookmark your suggestion. The magic word was a great hook.

BTW, and nobody jump me for this comment please. Your avatar appears to be Asian...I don't think I have ever seen or even heard of a female Asian with a bust that huge. Humph! Live and learn.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

jan's unique like that, messalina. bet you haven't seen too many bunnies with sasha's outfit, either. :p

i *highly* recommend Open Office for freeware office needs.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2007
  5. messalina

messalina Member

I've never seen bunnies like that either. Are you guys using the avs to live out your fantasies? I'm not mad at cha!

Thanks for the nod of Open...

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

nah, sigs are really just places to display your interests. jan's into anime, among many other interests, and i'm a fur. ^.^

what kind of software are you looking for? i bet that between jan and i, we can list ten-fold what you'd need.

7. messalina

messalina Member

Hey again, finally got back after intense work to try and find what might be the problem. I think we've narrowed it down to the Modem. In the "Diagnostics" there are 4 commands with question (?) marks by them.
    AT+FCLASS=?
    AT#CLS=?
    AT+GCI?
    AT+GCI=?
    and, AT13 LTV.92 DATA+FAX VERSION 8.28

The guys in another site and an AOL Tech tell me I have modem problems that could be causing the issues withe my dinosaur. If so what are my options?

Thanks

8. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

a modem issue shouldn't have anything to do windows genuine advantage bullcrap. that would be a separate issue.

9. messalina

messalina Member

The problem isn't the WGA. I prolly should have made a new thread, I just wanted to post in the one already opened.

The problem is that after I validated Windows and somewhere in there I also went to AOL 9.0 VR. I immediatlely got disconnect error msges from AOL Connectivity and I couldn't play in game sites or my emulator (offline) without being frozen and sent to black screen or the BIOS page. whereupon I had to turn off the comp using the 5 sec. method. Working with Techs, I was advised the problem sounded like a virus and to have the comp reformatted. I did that (Microsoft did it rather) and the problem continued; the comp was re-reformatted. After working with tech after tech and Microsoft and AOL and local repairman, a tech went into modem diagnostics with me. The above post is what she advised is the possible problem.

Before that however, another tech asked to have the computer booted to safe mode then play the games. He said he was a comp troubleshooter for a few comp companies and this should be the scenario: If the games plaed in Sm, the problem was most likely in the software. If they didn't the problem was most likely in the Hard Drive, V-Card or Memory.While he asked me to take it to the local shop, I did the run in SM and played an emulator game. Well, it played until I decided to turn it off more than an hour later, when it would have cut off in ten minutes or so in regular mode. The comp was blocked from connection in SM to AOL. Explained to me later by a bunch of ppl.

So no, the matter isn't the WGA I was saying that had I not validated I truly think I would not be having this issue, since I didn't have it before.