1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New VobBlanker guide

Discussion in 'User submitted guides' started by travalon, Nov 12, 2007.

1. travalon

travalon Regular member

............................. VOBBLANKER 2.1.2.0 USER'S GUIDE .....................................

This SEEMS like a lot to do but, once you learn it, it takes around 3-5 minuets to edit the movie b4 ripping it. + the 20 - 30 minuets to rip.

Please read the guide all the way through before using VOBBlanker. It will save you a lot of time.

1. CREATE AN INPUT FOLDER & NAME IT - I HAVE MINE IN MY VIDEOS

2. SELECT YOUR INPUT FILE VIDEO_TS.IFO BY BROWSING - THIS CAN BE FROM A FILE ON YOUR HARD DRIVE (HDD) OR YOUR DVD-ROM. THE VIDEO_TS.IFO WILL BE FOUND IN THE VIDEO_TS FOLDER.

3. AFTER VOBBLANKER IS FINISHED SCANNING THE MOVIE, TEXT WILL FILL THE TOP BOX.
    A. the first line is VIDEO_TS.VOB and can be edited by selecting and clicking the menu button at the right. this can hold those annoyining warnings on occasion.
    B. a new box will pop up. just select each language in the top box and then select each PGC in the lower box that has a ini size greater than 0. click preview.
    C. a new screen will pop up to show what is in that file. use the slider to see the whole thing. if you want to get rid of the pgc, close the preview window then click BLANK. do this for each PGC. when done, click ok. I select the foreign languages and blank the whole thing instead of searching. (SEE MENUS BELOW)

4. THE FOLLOWING LINES OF TEXT CAN BE ANYTHING. THE LARGEST FILE IS USUALLY THE MOVIE. THE REST ARE TRAILERS, PREVIEWS AND EXTRAS. THE WARNINGS ARE FOUND IN HERE AS WELL.

5. SELECT EACH VTS. A NEW SERIES OF TEXT WILL APPEAR IN THE BOTTOM BOX.
    A. select each PGC to see what it contains. You can watch in the mini-viewer top right or hit preview.
    a. if you want to keep this PGC just select a new one in the top box.
    b. if you want to get rid of it hit "Blank". in the action column, the action will change from keep to blank and the PGC will be blanked/removed.
    c. if you want to remove part of the PGC, hit the "Cells" button. a new pop-up window appears. select each cell and hit preview to see what it contains. when you find the one you want to blank hit blank then ok. if you hit close you will not blank that cell.

6. EACH VTS HAS A MENU AS WELL. (MENU INI) IF IT'S A LARGE MENU AND I HAVE BLANKED THE VTS, I WILL GO IN AND EDIT/BLANK THE MENU AS WELL.
    A. select the VTS and hit menu at the right. follow instructions for 3 B & C. do this for any VTS you choose.

7. AT THE TOP OF THE APPLICATION WINDOW THERE IS A "SIZE" INDICATOR. YOU ARE TRYING TO REACH A TARGET/FINAL SIZE OF 4600 MB OR SMALLER. AS SOON AS YOU REACH THIS SIZE YOU MAY OPT TO QUIT EDITING. (IF SO ,SKIP TO STEP 9). IF YOU HAVE FINISHED YOUR EDITING AND STILL HAVE NOT REACHED YOU TARGET SIZE, THERE IS MORE YOU CAN DO TO RID YOURSELF OF UNWANTED FILES. I.E. THE FRENCH, SPANISH, PORTUGESE, ETC. AUDIO OR THE 10 MINS OF CREDITS THAT EAT UP A LOT OF SPACE.
    A. to remove the credits, select the main movie in the top box then select the PGC in the bottom box with the longest "DURATION". click Prev/Edit.
    a. a new window pops up. in the top left corner is a cell selector labeled "GO TO" with a slider. select the first 1-3 cells and use the slider to find where you want the movie to START.
    b. when you find your starting point, go to the right and click the mark button in the "INITAL MARK" box. then go to the bottom right of the window and click the [ button on the left. (you can use the < > buttons to fine tune your selections.)
    c. go back to the "GO TO" box and select the last 4 -5 cells. use the slider to find where you want the movie to END. (NOTE: DO NOT SELECT THE CELL WITH THE END OF THE MOVIE. BE SURE TO GET A FEW OF THE CREDITS OR YOU WILL CUT OFF THE ENDING!)
    d. when you find your ending point, go to the right and click the mark button in the "END MARK" box. then go to the bottom right of the window and click the ] button on the right. (you can use the < > buttons to fine tune your selections.)
    e. BE SURE THE "ACTION BETWEEN MARKS" IS SET TO KEEP. if you want to edit out a section of the movie unsuitable for younger viewers, follow the previous instructions using the appropriate cells and ensure the "Cut" option is selected.
    f. click o.k. NOT close. SEE NOTE!!!!

8. TO REMOVE UNWANTED AUDIO (THE FOREIGN LANGUAGES), YOU WILL SELECT THE MAIN MOVIE FROM THE BOTTOM BOX IN THE APPLICATION THEN HIT THE "STRIP" BUTTON.
    A. a new window pops up with 2 tabs. Audio and Sub-pictures (captioning). in the audio tab, deselect the audio tracks you want to remove. do the same with the sub-pictures tab. SEE NOTE 2!!!

9. WHEN YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH YOUR WORK, HIT PROCESS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE APPLICATION WINDOW. IN 20 - 30 MINUETS YOU WILL HAVE YOUR MOVIE.
    A. open your favorite viewer and screen your movie to be sure it's working properly. (Find your source selection and select movie from folder or HDD) I check the menu links for play, scene selection and all scenes. i also start the movie and skip forward to each scene until the movie ends.

******NOTE*****: If you want to edit out more than one scene you must do it after you process the movie. You can't edit out more than one scene at a time. To save some time, when you load the VIDEO_TS.IFO back in after processing, click "skip all" then select the main movie and click "process" (at the top right not the bottom). this will edit the movie ONLY. Be sure to tick the use input folder in the "Settings" box. There is a default Back-up folder. The UN-edited files end up in here. If you make a mistake, you can just cut and paste these files to the output folder and all will be as before.

*****NOTE 2*****: Some of these streams are Director's Comments, some are different formats of English for the movie and some are foreign languages. Be sure the strean you keep is compatable with your system. Depending on which stream you keep, you may need to go into the audio menu and select it when you wach the movie. (That's why I don't blank the audio menu.) There is no way of identifying which is the director's comments w/VOBBlanker so I use DVD Shrink or Nero recode as they tell what stream is what.

########################## Menus ############################

Some movies have "Moving Menus". These take up a lot of space. VobBlanker can turn these menues into "Still" menus.

You can do the menu editing in conjunction with any processes in VobBlanker or alone.

1. Select the VTS of the menu you want to still.
    2. Select the Language you want.
    3. Select the PGC.
    A. check the "ini size" column. If it is in the kb range, it's not worth it. If it's in the MB range, select it and hit "Cells".
    B. Select the cell to be stilled and hit "Still".
    a. use the slider to find the image you want to use.
    b. in the I Frame box to the right, use the drop down menu to select "Custom" then hit mark.
    c. tick "Keep Audio" or not as you choose
    d. use the <> and or [ ] as you see fit. I'm not sure what effect they have on the menu.
    e. when you have finished all the Cells, hit "Apply" then hit O.K.
    f. hit "Process" if you have finished all your work. If not and you want to save what you have done, and come back to it later, go to file and save project as. I put mine in the output folder to find easily later.

------------------------------------------------------ SETTINGS -----------------------------------------------------

The default settings work well enough but, you may want to change some to suit your needs.
    You can reach the settings menu by clicking the "More" button in the settings box. There are
    some things you want to do and some things you MAY not want to do.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in the settings box $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Check process titles and menus. You want to check the Remove PUOP's in VOBs and you May want to
    check "Remove PUOPs in IFOs". PUOP = Prohibited user option processes. These are what keep you
    from skipping past the warnings, disclaimers, and other stuff the movie thinks you have to see.

******************** under the "More" button ***********************

Motion2still Global settings: I frame is the frame used when stilling a menu. if you use custom you
    dont need to worry about this. if you don't use custom, this may choose a blurry picture as the image.
    Try a middle i frame. I blank cells w/o buttons.

Menu PGCs in IFO: I don't clear audio/subs. I do Next PGCN and Prev PGCN

VOB internal pointers: I select both of these. If you have problems with your menus or the order the film plays,
    deselect the appropriate check and see if it fixes the problem.

VOB layout: I only have the bottom 2 checked

Scan VOBs settings: I tried it a few times and got impatient. I always canceled it because it takes a while. No problems yet.

Smart GAPs IFO-BUP: Nope

Back-up folder: check "use in VIDEO_TS" . Also multiple back-up folders if you want. Multiple's are useful on occasion.

Motion2still w/o audio: I have both of these set to 5 mins. and checked the use 1 sec still in blankes cells.

Title PGCs in IFOs: I checked the bottom 2

Postcommands into precommands when blanking: I only change post to precomm safely.

Replacing: I selected all of these though I don't replace anything. You would replace VTS's
    if you were making a compilation of your favorite car chases or gun fights. Or if you were
    editing a home movie.

Previews: I only checked Auto play selections in tiny preview and show menus in tiny preview

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Errors and Warnings ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

When VobBlanker is finished you May Have some warnings. Usually there is no problem with the movie.
    On occasion you need to change some settings to correct the errors. VobBlanker will tell you if you need
    to address the errors.

Sometimes when you load a VIDEO_TS.IFO, you get a pop up that says something like
    "VobBlanker has detected PGCs that are multi format or multi angle and are not supported.
    These PGS have been marked as skip." I just select them and click process.
    Then do as I would if the pop up had never occurred. No problems yet.

Any buttons you come across that are not addressed here I've never used and don't know.

I suggest you burn your first few movies to re-writable dvds until you get the hang of it.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Thanks for the excellent guide bro!

3. attar

attar Senior member

Ditto;I am going to spend some time getting to know this program.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Nice guide there travalon
    Moving it the user submitted guides forum.

5. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Great guide man. Great guide. I'm going to be using this program more now.

6. pryme_H

pryme_H Regular member

Current version is now 2.1.3.0. Here are the changes...

What's New in This Release:

· Added: Control of minimum window size (in resizing windows)
    ·
    · Added: Resizing grip indication (in the lower left corner)
    ·
    · Added: Refuse to run if AnyDVD/DVD43 or DVDRegionFree are detected.
    ·
    · Added: Split feature in MENUs. Up to 32 split points.
    ·
    · Added: "Cut inside" splitting the cell in two parts in MENUs domain.
    ·
    · Added: Check PTSs discontinuities when extending cells (replacing cells/titles).
    ·
    · Added: Multiple splits pre cell. Up to 32 split points can be defined per cell in the same VobBlanker session.
    ·
    · Added: GOP type and Cell elapsed time are shown in Preview
    ·
    · Added: Absolute sector in preview
    ·
    · Added: Check the maximum size of the output (menus and titles)
    ·
    · Added: Automatically disable overlay if needed in VISTA.
    ·
    · Improvement: Tooltips are visible when the controls are disabled.
    ·
    · Improvement: Double click on a cell row in cell list now goes to split/still/replace or preview/cut dialogs, depending on the selected action
    ·
    · Improvement: Message "Filename has to be *_1.VOB" removed if filesize < 1000MB
    ·
    · Improvement?: GOP type detection now accepts first video pack in a non standard position
    ·
    · Change: Defaults: Do not use overlay defaults to true, and NextPGC and PrevPGC pointers modification defaults to false
    ·
    · Change: Return to file save dialog in case of error (extracting cells)
    ·
    · Change: "Save project as" opens the file save dialog with the current project filename (if exists) instead of the default filename
    ·
    · Change: Elapsed and duration times: hours are represented in one digit
    ·
    · Change: Info in preview uses normal fonts. Deleted non-valid fields.
    ·
    · Change: Errors compacted when loading a DVD with multiple errors in menus
    ·
    · Change: 50% more space for ifos growing.
    ·
    · Change: Menu VOB or last title VOB files in a VTS are allowed to be larger
    ·
    · Change: Open GOP warning completely removed
    ·
    · Change: Confusing message when ILV-ed cells are detected.
    ·
    · BugFix: Not fixed, but workarounded. Disappearing dells dialog when hitting "split button"
    ·
    · BugFix: Delete all title VOB files in output folder before processing the titles domain of a titleset
    ·
    · BugFix: Bug in DVDPreview was crashing VobBlanker loading a PAL/NTSC mixed DVD than 1 GB (a warning is issued)
    ·
    · BugFix: sizes of GB were reported as MB in dialogs
    ·
    · BugFix: "Cut inside" splitting still was broken in some cases
    ·
    · BugFix: In the case of 9 files in a VTS, the fixing packs procedure hanged
    ·
    · BugFix: Only 98 VTS were supported
    ·
    · BugFix: Negative (wrong) pointers in IFOs made VobBlanker crash
    ·
    · BugFix: chapters table wrong when splitting cells
    ·
    · BugFix: Settings in main dialog were lost opening more settings dialog
    ·
    · BugFix: 32K smart GAP default was not always the same value
    ·
    · BugFix: Changing Cell number in preview was not updating Time and GOP type
    ·
    · BugFix: Special case where GOP type was not detected (was being marked as unknown)
    ·
    · BugFix: PGC unit table was being created empty in smart GAPs
    ·
    · BugFix: When removing unreferenced cells and renumbering, VOB pointers fixing phase was working with the list including the cells to be deleted, so some cells were adjusted twice.
    ·
    · BugFix: Adding chapters when splitting cells could fail in some rare conditions
    · BugFix: VobBlanker was not launching the fixing pointer phase when a cell number mismatch was detected replacing cells/pgcs...

7. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Thanks for the updated info/fixes.

8. proeman

proeman Member

Thanks for the Guide info. Well instructed. Makes me want to use the program now. proeman

9. attar

attar Senior member

Thanks again, I have used it recently to replace some menu stills.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  10. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

a good guide but this is the reason i do not use this program. I know there are work-arounds but I'm too lazy for the extra step.