1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't find codec for .cda

Discussion in 'Audio' started by kathy3218, Dec 1, 2007.

1. kathy3218

kathy3218 Member

Hi all,

I've got an old foreign language cd that I'm trying to play on my computer, but nothing will open it (tried MediaPlayer, Jukebox, and iTunes). Normal .cda file, so I assume I don't have the right codec, but I can't find which one I need. Used GSpot but only identified as RIFF, but no codec suggestions. The cd was last "edited" in 1994 according to its properties. Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Kate

2. philzone

philzone Regular member

Hi Kate! Is it a cdr? cuz i have found that most cdrs degrade over time.
    I think any of the players you mentioned should play it. Try playing it in a stand-alone cd player. Otherwise, use a good cd ripper(clonecd) and copy it. If no go, select "ignore read errors" and try again.
    Just a question, but did it ever work? could be bunk from the start...

3. kathy3218

kathy3218 Member

Thanks for responding! However, the cd seems to even stump clonecd, and "ignore read errors" still doesn't recognize. The cd works in a cd player, so it's not bad, I just think it was encoded with an outdated codec (in 1994), so I need to figure out which one it was. I can't imagine there were that many options back then, so if you know of any that were, I'd definitely appreciate. Thanks!!

4. philzone

philzone Regular member

Dang... That is really strange. I wish i had the thing, cuz i've ripped countless cds, and clone is the catch-all for any problem disks. Im pretty sure cda is the same its always been. Sounds like a reader issue. try a different reader? I've had bunk optical drives do funny stuff like that. If a different reader doesn't work, then i'll bet a it is a windows issue. aspi? I really dont know. try a different computer. thats gotta work! I'm interested to hear your results!

5. kathy3218

kathy3218 Member

Nope, tried on my friend's Mac and wouldn't work there either, but he could get an "intro" 10 seconds off of it when he "looked" at it (he's not exactly computer savvy and I wasn't there, so really didn't know what he was talking about). fyi - when I'm using MediaPlayer, the error code is C00D1197, which looks like a Network error even tho I"m on my home computer...

Thanks again!!!

6. philzone

philzone Regular member