1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't open, or run gimp:

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by dr_ml422, Dec 23, 2007.

1. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

hi. hope this is the right forum. anyhow i downloaded gimp so i could post my avatar, and my pc won't let me open it or run it. it says that it's not a valid windows 32 app. 1st time this happens w/downloading, or opening software. any suggestions, or solutions always appreciated.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

maybe you downloaded Gimp for Linux? It comes in different versions. What files(s) did you download, and from where?

3. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

i downloaded it from their website at Gimp Windows installers. i was pointed to the fact that it might require a more avanced processor w/mmx technology. in any case, if you or any of the fellas could give me some suggestions on what's going on, or simply how to create an avatar, i'd appreciate it. i checked my specs on my dell e310 windows xp mce, and i couldn't find any mention of my processor having mmx. i have a pentium 4 processor 521 (2.80ghz), and 1 mb cache.

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I ask again

filenames please.

5. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

I downloaded GIMP For Windows version 2.4.2. i couldn't open, or run the app.

6. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

So you downloaded the zip file. What did you do then?

7. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

it wasn't a zip file, unless ther's zip files which aren't compressed zip. i downloaded it using firefox which downloads it to my desk top. i tried to open and execute the app. it wouldn't do it stating it wasn't a valid windows 32 appl. all i need to know is if it's my processor that doesn't have the MMX technology that's preventing it from doing so.

8. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

I do not know what you downloaded but it wasn't the Gimp installer. That link you posted is to a web page (on the Afterdawn website). On that web page is a "download" link leading to gimp_v2.4.2.zip. Whatever is on your desktop that you downloaded, why don't you right click it, then look at "properties" and tell me what is there?

Or download this

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.4.2-i686-setup.exe

Last edited: Dec 29, 2007
  9. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

this is where i downloaded the stable version of gimp explaining about the mmx technology needed.

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

get back w/any info or suggestion. in the mean time i'll keep that link you posted. if anything i'll just go there, and see what happens. i deleted the executable after it refused to open, or run. no sense having it if it wouldn't work. thnx.

10. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

All Pentium processors starting with the 166 Mhz Pentium 1 in January 1997 have had MMX technology. Your Pentium 4 will definitely have it.

As for your download, it must have got corrupted.

11. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

hi indochine. by corrupt you don't mean a virus right?bcause i ran a virus scan, and anti-spyware,and all is fine. now i noticed that i didn't download a windows update the other way that mentioned it might fix some issues related to downloading. could this b y i can't run, or open the GIMP app.?

12. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

It need not be a virus that messed up the download.

I don't understand why you don't just download it again, the same way you did the first time, and see if it works. If it doesn't, you could post on here and be helped.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  13. dr_ml422

dr_ml422 Regular member

hi indo. excuse not getting back after trying to download again. i'll do this shortly and post back. got a lil backed up w/the holidays.