1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony miniDV - disturbing noise appearing intermittently in some scenes

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by romino, Mar 25, 2008.

1. romino

romino Member

hello,

i'm just wondering if someone would know the reason, heared or experienced something similar:
    i have a Sony MiniDv camcorder - HC27. I noticed when shooting the video on first tape, that in about 2 scenes, right from the start, there is a noise, sounds to me like the noise made by the mechanism which rewinds the casette (and then captured by the mic). This is silenced after few seconds, but still present (in those 2 scenes).

Now when I finished the 2nd casette, there are already more scenes with this disturbing noise. And again, when it appears it is always right from the start of the scene, and slowly silenced after few seconds.
    But in the very last scenes I shot, I hear the sound and after few seconds it is louder. And interesting, in the scene that follows, with one minute delay in shooting, suddenly all is fine throughout all the scene - and with all the same conditions (this last examples are shot for example all in the car).

So it is pretty confusing, I do not see there any pattern. Regardless of whether it is outdoor or indoor scene, sometimes it occurs and with different intensity. Does not seem to be related to the tape, whether it is at the beggining, or end, does not depend on the battery whether it is fully charged or close to depleted. I was thinking - could it be some radio waves disturbing ? mobile phone ? How I hold the camera (in one palm, both palms [again seems to be not linked to the issue]), on LCD display vs. viewfinder ? I don't know. No pattern.

I just would like to see what if someone knows the possible reason(s) or have some tips.

Thanks !

PS: of course, it is not some issue that was added when transferring the video. I hear the noise, when present, also when playing the video on camera right after the scene was shot.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Is it a buzzing sound? You may be correct about an outside source causing it.

Have you tried using a Sony cleaning tape? They are about $17US, but it may clear up the problem.

Edit: I have the Sony DCR-HC96, and once in awhile, I will pick up some tape hum. I believe it is because of the location/sensitivity of the mic. It doesn't happen often, but I have been starting to think that I should stripe all of my new tapes, but that is more wear and tear on the video camera.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008
  3. romino

romino Member

Yes, when it appears it is a stable buzzing sound which is usually silenced (but still present) after few seconds. Last time in one scene surprisingly it became stronger, as I was shooting something from left to right (my blackberry phone in my right pocket causing it ? :)
    Yes, at this stage I would agree it is an outside source. Next time I will make sure I will turn-off my mobile, and will see whether the sound appears. If it does not help, I will contact the shop where I bought it.
    I may well use the cleaning tape, although I do not think it will help as it is a brand new camcorder, and also I could make perfect footage before and also after those bad ones.

I will update this thread if I find something.

Thanks for your post !

4. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You're welcome, and do let me know what your findings are.

5. romino

romino Member

nah, i think i found what the issue is.
    it is simply the motor noise picked up by the mic.
    i did not realize that, only today, when i was testing in a really quiet room.
    i put my head very closely to the camcorder to listen. already while in standby mode the camcorder was noisy, let alone when i pressed the record button ! that was it, a familiar buzzing noise immediatelly started! no wonder the mic picked it up! it can be heard only from few centimetres (but then really strongly!), that's why i never noticed it before. and apparently it is intensified when shooting the video in confined spaces, like in the car, or when holding the camcorder in both palms...
    i did some research, more people are complaining about it (bizrate.com), saying that this is the major flaw of Sony DCRHC camcorders.
    one user even mentioned that this has started after about 2 months from the purchase, which would be something similar to my experience - it was fine at the very beginning.
    well, let's see what the shop where i bought it will tell me !
    definitely not happy with that camcorder ... :(

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

I did some research also. I found that it isn't necessarily the motor noise. It most often is caused by tape noise. I rarely have it happen but have noticed that it sometimes happens, if after shooting, I rewind to preview what I shot, and then go back to the end point, and shoot again, at a later date.

Let my know what the shop says.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  7. CJWright

CJWright Member

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Carol, did you have something to say? :)

9. CJWright

CJWright Member

I wrote a whole response to this, after that blank message, and it didn't take.
    I have HC96 and get same results, with sound worse in car or near highly reflective hard surfaces like windows. It seems to help if I do not cup the camera tightly, as I think my hand helps keep the noise inside the camera. Someone on YouTube did a test taking the camera underwater in his bathtub...and the camera noise was intolerable. Of course, underwater, you wouldn't get sound anyway.
    I have a hotshoe adaptor to accept mic plug and now have mic small enough to be convenient, with perhaps 3' cable to get it away from the camera. I can hear it when I am shooting so assume the mic would hear it if mounted on a bracket. I can get rid of a lot of the more obnoxious sounds using iMovie's audio editing features. Highpass, lowpass, equalization. Try different things until it is not obvious.
    Guess this is a reason to eventually hold out to get a flash driven camera one day. No movement, no noise.

10. romino

romino Member

yep, this is it definitely.
    Since I try to avoid conditions like that, all is fine.
    And also when I watch the videos I made in the past with that disturbing noise, all match those criteria - video made in a car, close to windows, holding camera tightly with both hands.
    cheers ! mystery solved :)