1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Changing Iphone IMEI - Blocked Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone - General discussion' started by aszbaz, Apr 3, 2008.

1. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

Ok, let me explain. This phone isn't actually stolen, but its blocked because a mate of mine left it at my house and thought he lost it, but i was on holiday so i couldn't tell him. he called his insurance company, they sent him a new Iphone, and he told me to keep this on since he owed me some money. we tried to tell the insurance company, but they said that once the new Iphone has been out of the box and the old one is used, its nearly worthless to them. odd, I know, they could have refurbished and resold it. so basically this phone is blocked because it has been reported stolen and I need to know how to unblock it, maybe changing the IMEI and jailbreaking + unlocking to all networks might help?

2. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

Great! :) but how do I do it? (Yes, I DO know all the law issues)

3. varnull

varnull Guest

IMEI is hardcoded.. you need to sell it to somebody from a country where it will work. It is now blocked by IMEI from all US networks.

As it has been reported stolen it will still be on the stolen lists regardless of the fact that he and you have reported it found again. If law enforcement officers stop you for any reason and happen to check the phone against their records you face being charged with the theft of it and may spend an unpleasant night in the cells before it gets sorted out...

Basically as the phone company have said it is worthless now.. You may be able to sell it for parts to a shady dealer/repairer who will ask no questions. Otherwise sling it, sell it cheap (do not show any ID) or give it away.. don't keep it.. it is still classed as stolen property!!! (we get 2 or 3 a month in the shop, bought in good faith and then they get blocked..we have been ripped off and are risking prosecution.. you could hand it in to your local police saying your friend gave it to you..but you might still get busted doing that)... The phone companies have no way to unblock a phone once it is on the block lists.. or if they have they will never do it. They have been scammed millions of times by people who have sold phones and then claimed they lost it, then after the person they sold it to makes a fuss they try exactly what you guys did.. so they just don't want to get involved.

Sorry.. it's wasteful and sad for expensive technology and all the energy used to make it to be thrown away like this, but that is the world we live in.

4. aszbaz

aszbaz Guest

realy? im gonna be honest here, ive HAD a stolen phone before (i actually stole it from my older brother and didnt tell him lol) and i took it to the local dodgy phone shop he unblocked it and changed the IMEI for £15. cant I do that with the iphone? i did it with a Sony Ericsson k750i.

5. gttdi

gttdi Regular member

yeah, changing the IMEI should work, but just in case, go to iphoneincanada.ca/forums, and ask the same question( you dont have to be in canada to ask questions there.)

6. paulyturk

paulyturk Member

could anyone tell me if it is hard to change your imei i have a spare iphone and would wish to change it.

7. Audin

Audin Member

just use ziphone.gui
    google it, install it, click on advanced options and choose fake imei..