1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ID3 Tag Handling in Windows - 2 Questions

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ldfcao, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ldfcao

ldfcao Member

I have 2 questions about ID3 tag handling in Windows XP:

1) Editing Tags in an Explorer Window
    I'd like to edit ID3 tag information directly in an Explorer window (detail view), without having to open a separate Properties window (just like you can edit a filename). Is there shell extension software will let me do that?

2) Displaying iTunes Tag Information in an Explorer Window
    My iTunes files (M4a, PM4...) won't show ID tag information when displayed in detail view in an Explorer window. Artist, Album Title, Year and so on are simply blank, even though the information shows up when I open a Properties window (I use the dBpoweramp shell extension). How can I get this information to display in an Explorer window?

Thank you!

2. Mez

Mez Active member

1) Editing Tags in an Explorer Window
    I'd like to edit ID3 tag information directly in an Explorer window (detail view), without having to open a separate Properties window (just like you can edit a filename). Is there shell extension software will let me do that?

unfortunatly Explorer Window does not edit tags so you are going to have to use another window unless you can get Microsoft to help you out.

2) Displaying iTunes Tag Information in an Explorer Window
    My iTunes files (M4a, PM4...) won't show ID tag information when displayed in detail view in an Explorer window. Artist, Album Title, Year and so on are simply blank, even though the information shows up when I open a Properties window (I use the dBpoweramp shell extension). How can I get this information to display in an Explorer window?

Leave your pointer in explorer on a file PA can read and the info will be displayed in a pop up window. If you want better than that you will need to write the software yourself.

3. leoliver

leoliver Member

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I will have to check that shell out!

After reading the discontinued user ldfcao request again, I realised he couldn't have installed the support for Apple for PowerAmp. PA supports dozens of formats but you should only add what you need since the more supports it has installed the slower it performs.

5. ldfcao

ldfcao Member

Thank you, Larry! Audio Shell fixed my problem with .m4a files. Advance to "Senior Member"...!

However, I do KNOW there is a windows shell program that will let you edit tag features in an explorer window as easily as you can edit file name.

Sorry, Mez, most of us here don't wait for Microsoft to provide us with solutions. There's already one out there. I used to have it installed. I just can't remember what it's called or where to find it.

If anyone can remember which windows shell program will let me edit tag features directly in an Explorer window, I'd be grateful.

Thank you!

Laura F.