1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

combofix has screwed me

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by consul, Apr 28, 2008.

1. consul

consul Regular member

Hi all
    Had a problem with virtumonde, so ran spybot which found 4 entries. On further reading I was told there would be at least another 2 entries still on PC, so followed instructions on the bleeping comp site and ran Combofix with the intent of posting the log file on here for further help. On finishing the PC decided to reboot and this is where my nightmare begins.
    I have never used or will use a password to log into win Xp, I have nothing to hide from my family;-}
    So in its great wisdom my system decides to set one for me!!!!
    In the past when fixing other peoples computers I have gone into safe mode, Admin, and bypassed passwords, BUT yes you guessed it my system has set a password for admin aswell
    So what the hell do I do now?

2. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

3. consul

consul Regular member

tried that and many others, ctrl,alt,del twice, EBCD etc. Still no luck.
    One thing I can do is boot up to my other partition.
    When I built this machine I split the HDD into 2x100gig drives, D being the one locked out and C being where I backup photos, music and such like. When in C I can access files in the D drive but if I switch to the D drive it will reboot as they are both totally seperate and have a copy of XP on both(I used Hyperos) . So is there any way of getting into control panel for the D drive when in my C drive? Is there a way to wipe the passwords in the system32 folder?

4. consul

consul Regular member

A bit of an update
    Managed to get hold of a copy of ERD Commando, booted from this and followed instructions.
    All seemed to go ok, It even asked me for my new password at next boot up, but then told me access is denied please consult your administrator (I AM THE F**KING ADMINISTRTOR).
    So again is there a way to get in Through the other partition?
    Or how about something in the registry?
    I am getting close to giving up and just backing everything up which I can still get to but dont like admitting defeat
    Any ideas?