1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding multiple SSA files at VirtualDub

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by Killdog, May 31, 2008.

1. Killdog

Killdog Member

Hi,

I found a great guide here how to add subtitles to a movie, but I ran into a problem:

The subtitles I want to add are spread over two files (cd 1 and cd 2). I tried adding them both, but then VirtualDub adds both of the files at the same time.

How do I make sure VD adds the subs from cd 2 only after the subs from cd 1 are added?

Thanks,

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you are joining two AVI files with VirtualDub then trying to add the related subtitles from separate files, if so it would be best to join the subtitles first.
    Are the timestamps of the subtitles (that are spread over two files) contiguous?

3. SDF_GR

SDF_GR Regular member

Here it goes.
    Download & install Subtitle workshop.
    (This tools lets you do a lot of staff with subs.)
    Lets say that avi 1(cd1) is 60 mins and the subs start at 00:01:00 and ends at 00:58:00.

2nd avi(CD2) is 60mins but the subs start at 00:05:00 and ends at (we dont care)
    That means that sub #1 from second Disc is at 01:05:00 of the total movie.

Open subtitle workshop
    From the tool bar select

File>>Load Subtitle. Select the subs srt for the 2nd Disc.

After you have successfully load subtitles go again to the toolbar and navigate to

Edit>>Timings>>Adjust>>Adjust Subtitles

A new window will appear.
    At
    First spoken line set it to 01:05:00
    and at the
    Last spoken line
    Do the maths that needed and add the time.
    Save it and you are almost ready.

Open both srt's with notepad and copy the srt 2 content at the end of srt1.
    Save and Done!

Hope that helped.
    Sorry about my english, if you need more help, just post.

4. attar

attar Senior member

@SDF_GR
    I agree that this is a good method of resetting the times of multi-part subtitles - but If you join the two part video and the two part subtitles then display them together in SubTitle Workshop, syncing up is easier.
    It always seems that with joined videos, the second set of subtitles never quite sync up.

What I do is, append cd1 and cd2 with VirtualDub (Direct Stream Copy).

Start Subtitle Workshop; choose 'Tools', 'Join Subtitles' and 'Add' the .srt files (in the correct order).
    Set the output format.

Check boxes, 'Load file after joining and saving' and 'Recalculate time values' then click 'Join'.
    Note that if the new combined file has the same name as the combined movie, the movie will load automatically.

So, if required, load the movie in Subtitle Workshop. ('Movie' 'Open').

Pause the movie and use the slider to get to the point in the second half where the dialog and subs should start.
    Note the time stamp of the video on the right side of the window.
    Play the movie if required and pause at the instant where the dialog starts.
    When the movie is paused at the correct time (shown on the screen) scroll down the subs listing to where dialog should start.

Assuming that the sync is off, highlight the first unsynced sub, press 'Shift' and click the last sub.
    An example might be sub #637 is the first sub out of sync and the last sub is #1234.
    All these subs should now be highlighted.
    Start the movie playing again and as the dialog starts, press the 'Move Subtitle' button and the first highlighted sub takes the timestamp of the video.

All of the highlighted subs also have had their times reset.

Test the subs sync by playing the video and save the subs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  5. SDF_GR

SDF_GR Regular member

@attar
    nice quick tutorial, and looks like the final result will be more accurate.
    i am not a video expert, i still have some fights with some movies and subs.I have found the above way to join subs/srt's cause some DVD's, i rip to xvid with autogk, just doesn't show subs So all that i needed was to combine srt's and this way was the most simple, but not that accurate .