1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow DAE speed

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Kulstad, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Kulstad

Kulstad Member

Hi.

With my Asus DVD-E616P i can't get more than 2.7-3.0x (when it starts extracting, it's at 0.1x, really slow!) ripping with Exact Audio Copy in secure mode. My other drive, the LG DVD-RAM 4020B can achieve 8.6-10x in extraction, which seems more reasonable.

In detecting the read features of the drives, the Asus shows caching: yes, accurate stream: yes, c2 error info: no. The LG presents caching: no, accurate stream: yes, c2 error info: yes. If i disable the c2 error info i can only extract at 3-4x or similar. So i have to ask if this is normal. I was expecting that the Asus E616P would extract close to 20x. Going with the values in the CD speed2000 homepage they have figures like that for DAE with the Asus E616. I think E616P is more recent(?), so why the extreme difference in performance? 3x versus 20x is something extraordinary.

I would really like to know if anyone has any hints on how to disable caching and enable c2 error info with the E616P model? Or any other ideas to speed things up a bit but still keeping all the accuracy of EAC. Also if anyone has any of these models (Asus E616 and the E616P)what are the results in DAE with your drives?

Thanks.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

I'd ask the same at digital-inn.de EAC forum if you don't get a satisfying answer here.

Basically secure mode sacrifies speed for security. You could try burst mode test & copy and compare CRCs. The security will be comparable to secure mode (if CRCs match, otherwise you'd need to re-extract in secure mode) and you'll probably get ~ 10x speed with the ASUS.

3. Kulstad

Kulstad Member

Thanks, already have done that before coming here.

I think the problem is with the DVD-RAM drivers of LG-4020B since after deleting RAMSST.EXE of the running processes, i started ripping at 9.4x without caching in secure mode. In burst mode i get more than 20x.

The thing is that i restarted my pc again right now and can still rip with good speeds, and yet the RAMSST.EXE is running in the processes now. Maybe there's some conflict with drivers or something. Another thing that's bugging me is that after doing some tests with nero cd speed, the LG drive takes a lot of CPU usage.
    In Device Manager it says that it is in PIO mode but in the specs it says it supports UDMA Mode 4. I have to see if there is something in the BIOS that forces UDMA. Hope I don't do nothing wrong. =)