1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How convert to AVI Motion JPEG?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bobachgil, Dec 10, 2008.

1. bobachgil

bobachgil Member

The user manual for my Digital Photo Frame says that it will play AVI Motion JPEGS taken from a digital camera.

The only problem is I don't want to play digital camera files I want to play videos from my screen recorder.

Sooo... how do I convert an mp4 file to AVI Motion JPEG? Everything I have tried does not seem to be supported or the screen goes black or looks like a NTSC playback on PAL steroids. I have not found a converter that expressly says AVI Motion JPEG as an output option.

Thanks!

Bob

2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't know of a specific software that will convert to MJPEG avi, but it can be done using VirtualDub and FFDSHOW.

The file is loaded/dragged into VirtualDub and 'Video' => 'Compression' selected from the menu.
    'FFDSHOW' is selected and configured for 'MJPEG'.
    The file is saved as a new avi ('File' => 'Save as AVI..')

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/video_tools/virtualdub.cfm

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/ffdshow_install_configure.cfm

In the installation setup for FFDSHOW, elect support for VirtualDub.

Also make sure that 'MJPEG' is enabled in the 'VFW' Configuration (Start > All Programs > FFDSHOW)

[​IMG]

There is another way to get an MJPEG codec without installing FFDSHOW.

It requires that you download and install a trial of a pay program (Showshifter) - but instead of permitting it to reboot at the end of the installation, you immediately 'Uninstall' the program.
    Reboot manually and you will find the 'Pic Video' MJPEG encoder available in the list of compressors in VirtualDub.

3. attar

attar Senior member