1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

123 copy dvd - playback from disc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mystreba, Dec 26, 2008.

1. mystreba

mystreba Member

I have 123 copy dvd gold v6.0.0.4. I copied a DVD to disc and I'm having difficulty playing it back. The 123 copy created a VIDEO_TS directory with IFO and VOB files. I cannot playback with anything on my computer: Windows Media Player / Quicktime / PowerDVD (has no option to open a FILE)

I've been searching the internet for hours, and there seem to be solutions out there, though none work for me. One solution was to download the free videolan VLC player. This doesn't work. It seems to open the VOB file, and I see the "PLAY" slider bar moving, but there is no sound or video.

Any suggestions?

2. mystreba

mystreba Member

I also downloaded the latest media player classic - no success there either.

3. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I know you probably want your piece of software to make it work, but it ain't worth it.My suggestion is ditch 123DVD...Download DVDFab HD Decrypter instead( is free and it is kept up to date with the decryption) for ripping. To burn , use ImgBurn.

4. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

I would have to agree with Cyprusrom. Ditch 123 copy dvd and use DvdFab Hd Decrypter.

5. mystreba

mystreba Member

I'm a novice and therefore not sure, but this doesn't seem to solve my problem. I'm not trying to burn anything. What I want to do is copy (rip?) DVDs to a remote hard disk, and play them from there. My problem is that I can't find anything that will play them from hard disk.

Having said all that, I'm unsure if my problem is due to 123 COPY not producing playable files, or due to the fact that none of the players I've tried thus far are capable of playing what it's produced.

~thanks

6. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Did you try to rip with DVDFab and the files could not be played with VLC ?

7. mystreba

mystreba Member

No, I did not try that. I'll report back after I've tried it.

~thanks

8. mystreba

mystreba Member

I downloaded DVDFab and ripped the DVD to remote hard disk. It created a VIDEO_TS folder nearly identical to the folder created by 123 Copy DVD - that is, lots of VOB and IFO files. I was then able to successfully play the movie from the disk:

PowerDVD 8 - I right-clicked on the Video_TS.IFO file and clicked the "open with PowerDVD 8" option. Played like a champ, menu and all.

VLC Media Player - I right-clicked on the Video_TS folder and clicked the "Play with VLC Media Player" option. Played like a champ, menu and all.

Windows Media Player - I right-clicked on the Video_TS.IFO file and clicked the "open with PowerDVD 8" option. Played like a champ, menu and all.

Thanks guys. I haven't played the entire movie, but it appears to be working.

And now I'm off to see if Best Buy will refund my $50 for the 123 software.....

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Sorry, I wish I could say someone else was to blame, unfortunately you did not do your homework before buying...:) It is not meant to decrypt/rip(copy) protected discs, is more of a converter/transcoder of some sorts. Good luck trying to return it!

Just as an FYI, for about any project, there is a freeware tool available- like DVDFab HD Decrypter!

10. mystreba

mystreba Member

Yup, that about sums it up.

I have discovered that the playback is problematic as follows:

- Windows Media Player has audio but no video
    - VLC is real "jumpy" between menu actions (resizing of screens and such)

Playback with PowerDVD is flawless.

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

You have no image on WMP because it does not support DVD decoding natively. It needs a third party mpeg2 codec. FFDSHow will do the job.

12. mystreba

mystreba Member

Interesting, because WMP does show some ripped movies properly - those that were not copy protected in the first place. So the issue, as I believe you stated it (I'm new to all the lingo), is that WMP doesn't support decoded movies (those that were formerly copy protected)?

13. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

No, I thought your WMP does not play any DVD video. Without a proper codec, WMP would not play DVD video period.
    Not sure why it would not have picture with your rips if it does play some DVDs...
    When you say "some ripped movies", you mean in VOB format, right, not converted to AVI/Divx...?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  14. mystreba

mystreba Member

Man, I'm uniquely unqualified to be saying anything here. I just tried it again and it worked fine. Not sure what I'd done earlier. Playback with WMP is flaky - works sometimes, not others. Sometimes I close it and re-launch it and it "remembers" where I'd left off the previous time. Other times it doesn't remember, and starts at the beginning. If I let the title menu scene-sequence play all the way through to the end, instead of looping back it begins playing the movie, but leaves the static menu background up so that all you get is audio. Clearly, I won't be using WMP for playback.

Just to clarify, all my attempts have been with rips that produce IFO and VOB files. Thus far, using DVDFab to rip, they play back with VLC (though with "jumpy" menu action), WMP (though it's flaky) and PowerDVD 8. I think I'll spring the $80 to purchase the player.

Someone suggested I keep 123 Copy DVD for its other functions, like converting movies for my iPhone. Not that Best Buy would ever refund my money anyway - that's just crazy talk.

15. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

$80 seems a bit pricey to me, just to be able to play video. Might as well download Nero and try its DVD player( Nero Showtime, which I like), and for the same money you get a program with waay more functions than just play video.

Another free player you can try is MPC .
    If you do get a refund for 123DVD...,you can use free software to convert to iPhone( http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_video_for_iphone__freeware__easy_.cfm ), or take that money and buy the full version of DVDFab.