1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VirtuaDub - Problem with VBR audio of AVI file

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by stibi, Jan 1, 2009.

1. stibi

stibi Regular member

I wanted to load an Avi file into VirtualDub, in order to add permanent subtitles to that avi.
    There appeared a warning that Variable bitrate audio has been detected, and I may encounter sync errors.
    To avoid such problems, I selected from the "File" menu (of VirtualDub)"Save as WAV", whereupon I got a wav file. Next, I wanted to load that wav file into VirtualDub, to compress it and then to replace the audio part of the avi with the compressed wav file.
    However, when I selected, in VirtualDub, the Audi menu, I didn't see there any option to load a wav file. Furthermore, I wouldn't know how to substitute the original audio part of the AVI with the said wav file.
    Please guide me - as detailed as possible - how to solve the above problem.
    Thanks in advance
    stibi

2. attar

attar Senior member

After you load the wav, bear in mind that you should select 'Full Processing Mode' and an audio compression (mp3 etc) else, when the avi is saved, the audio will be uncompressed.

[​IMG]

3. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,
    As allways youre respnses are prompt and vey useful. Thank a lot.
    Now, I dare to ask your another question I posed to the forum only yesterday (and so far I didn't get answer to) :-

I have a German speaking avi file of about 1.73 GB(when I checked with AVIcodec what's the codec of the said file, AVIcodec showed "unknown").
    After downloading Czech srt subtitles to the said avi I used VirtualDub (version 1.8.6) to "embed" the said subtitles into the avi file. In the TextSub settings > styles I choosed "EASTEUROPE" (instead of DEFAULT) and I selected Arial font size 24. Next, after compressing the said avi file with DivX 6.8.5 Codec (2 Logical CPUs), I selected "Saved as Avi".
    During the process of "embeding" the subtitles, the fonts seemed to me be too large; however I didn't stop the process. Only when, after watching the movie with a standalone DVD player, I saw that the subtitles are really too large (and some sentences appeared in 3 lines). Hence I repeated the whole process with VirtualDub, only that this time I choosed the same fonts (Ariel) size 22. To my surprise, the size of the subtitles was as big as before (whe I selected 24). Moreover, even when I selected size 18 the subtitles were as big as before.
    I should add that I used VirtualDub many times and I never encountered such problem.
    Hope somebody there will be able to help me to solve it.
    Thanks in advance
    stibi

4. attar

attar Senior member

Put the subs on a known good file and see if the result is the same.
    I don't care for that message
    What does VirtualDub's 'File' => 'File Information' say about the codec (video decompressor).

5. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar and thanks a lot again,
    I loaded another AVI file (of another movie) into VirtualDub. According to VirtualDub's 'File' => 'File Information' The codec of that other AVI is DivX 6.8.5 codec (according to AVIcodec : OpenDivx v4).
    Next I loaded the sub subtitles of that other AVI file, and, in this case too, whatever size of the font I selected the size of the subtitles VirtualDub embeded was large, like in the previous case.

It seems to me, therefore, that the problem is neither with the avi file, nor with the subtitles. Do you think it's worthwhile to uninstall VirtualDub, install it again (perhaps another version ?)and then try again ?
    Thanks in advance, and (most important) let me wish you a Happy New Year
    stibi

6. attar

attar Senior member

There's no installation with VirtualDub - it works right out of the folder.
    When you finish setting the Textsub filter - before choosing a compressor or saving the file - use the slider to check the size of the subs.
    Is the size, colour and location, ok?
    If it's ok, after saving the file, does it playback on the PC ok.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  7. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar and thanks.
    Well I acted as you suggested, however, wherever I mooved the slider, the subtitles remained to be of the same size; and much larger than size 22 - which was the size I selected.
    As to the location and color of the subtitles: Their location seemed to be O.K. and their size was white (which is, I suppose, the default color, because I didn't select any color).

Hope You will find some solution and thanks in advance.
    stibi

8. attar

attar Senior member

9. stibi

stibi Regular member

Hi attar,
    I wouldn't believe it :- A short while before receiving your message I have downloaded and installed a program called "SuperEasy Codec Checker".
    Now, after receiving your message, I uninstalled VobSub and reinstalled it, but it didn't help.
    Hence,I was about to apply to VirtualDub's help Forum, but before doing so, I decided to check the two movie avi files with SuperEasy Codec Checker, because this program seemed to be beter than the AVIcodec.
    To my surprise, SuperEasy Codec Checker, instead of showingg (as it usually does) the details of each of those files, showed only in each case, "error".
    I have therefore downloaded again (this time from other sources)the said movie avi files; and after checking them with SuperEasy Codec, I loaded each of them into VirtuaDub. This time I had no problem with changing the sizes of the fonts.
    I must give you a compliment : When I wrote that I checked the codec of that AVI file with AVIcodec and AVIcodec reported "unknown", You right-away suspected, that the AVI must be wrong, and you, therefore, suggested to try again with a known good file. Unfortunately, AVIcodec found nothing wrong in the other file I tried; and only now SuperEasy Codec Checker found it's wrong.

Thanks a lot again.
    stibi