M2N-SLI Deluxe does not post

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ChiknLitl, Feb 1, 2009.

1. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

So my MB was working fine. A computer start-up was interrupted and that reset my OC settings to stock. I re-booted, entered BIOS and loaded my OC profile, I checked all settings and saved. Then, no post, no beep, nothing! I cleared the CMOS several times and it does not change. I can't even get to the splash screen. This set-up was working perfectly for the past year, rock solid, does not overheat or crash. Did I some how brick the BIOS flash memory when I loaded the OC profile? I am not sure if it was from the same BIOS revision. I am running XP pro w/ sp3, Asus M2N-SLI deluxe Rev , BIOS version is 1604 I think, either that or 150X, AMD 5000+ BE @ 3120 ghz, 4 GB corsair memory 800Mhz, 700w PSU. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks. ---Chikn

I forgot to mention that all power comes on, HDD's spin up, lights and fans come on without a hitch.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Are you clearing the CMOS properly? Unolug all power to the system, unplug battery, move jumper, wait an hour, put the jumper back, put the battery back, re-power the system.

3. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Thanks for the response. Wait an hour? Really? I do all of what you mentioned except the jumper gets moved for only 10-15 seconds. That's always worked for me and that's what the manual says. I will try for an hour, the box isn't running anyway, so what do I have to lose! ---Chikn.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Likewise for me, but sometimes it can take longer, and some motherboard manufacturers recommend 24 hours. Seems a little extreme, but hey, if it means not having to buy a replacement board...

5. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

O.K., so I left the CMOS jumper at position 2-3 for about 8-9 hours and no dice. Same old same old. Any ideas or suggestions as to what may have happened? I know it's purely speculation without having been there and not being familiar with my set-up, but I feel like I can't see the forest for the trees, so-to-speak. thanks. ---Chikn

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Have you tried booting up with only one stick of memory installed?

7. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Now that's some damn good advice sammorris! That did the trick, a good lesson learned. I was about to give up, I needed a reason to get the new Phenom II 940, saw your post and tried it last night. Worked like a charm, it reset the BIOS. Funny thing is I set all of my OC settings, put the other 3 sticks of ram back in and still works fine. I have to run memtest on it just in case there's a bad stick, but so far all is well. Thanks a million! ---Chikn.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No problem - this is one that comes from personal experience.

9. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Just an update to my situation. I was getting a black boot screen intermittently with boot, specifically with the RTC alarm function engaged in the BIOS. I tried changing the MB CMos battery. I ran Memtest for a couple of hours without errors. I have 4 x 1GB stick of 1066 DDR2 RAM. So I tried to boot with 1 stick at a time, changing the sticks between boot ups. Honestly, I should have done this sooner, chalk it up to experience. Turns out there is a bad stick. The computer simply will not boot with this stick. OCZ is now going to RMA for me, fast response from them BTW, less than 3 days from trouble ticket to RMA. Funny that Memtest did not pick up any errors. Hope that this helps someone else out. ---Chikn

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Good to know they were quick with the replacment, but it's one of a growing pile of faulty OCZ memory modules.

11. ChiknLitl

ChiknLitl Regular member

Yeah, so I am hearing. Apparently the quality is suffering some. ---Chikn