1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trouble installing Lame codec in Virtualdub

Discussion in 'Audio' started by evillevi, Feb 20, 2009.

1. evillevi

evillevi Member

Hello guys, I'm new here.

Can somebody please tell me how to properly install the Lame codec to be used in Virtualdub on a Windows XP 64-bit machine? I am having trouble integrating it in both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Virtualdub.
    For the 32-bit version of Virtualdub (1.8.8 build 30091) I installed the LAME ACM MP3 Codec 3.98.2 and the LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98.2 (exe + dll files) but Lame does not show up in the codec list of Virtualdub.

I get the same result when using the same downloads for the 64-bit version of Virtualdub. No error messages, but nothing appears.

In both cases I've tried copying the lame.dll file into Virtualdub's folder, even to the system32 folder, everything to no avail.

I think I found a 64-bit version of Lame (I forget where I got it), but that did not seem to work either. Virtualdub crashed when I opened the compression menu, due to an error related to the Lame codec.

Please advise...
    Thanks
    Levi

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Right click on the Lameacm.inf file and select INSTALL.

Then you should find Lame mp3 in the list of audio encoders.

3. evillevi

evillevi Member

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on this, but I did that and it did not work. I've just downloaded a lame installer with an optimized .inf file for x64 from the PlanetAMD forum and that did the trick. I simply don't get it, but hey, I'm glad it finally works. Thanks for your help.

4. varnull

varnull Guest

the 32 and 64 bit codecs are different.. that's why you need the right one.

5. evillevi

evillevi Member

But neither worked... Only the 'enhanced' 32-bit version I found on this forum did.