AfterDawn: Tech news

Sony prices first touchscreen Walkman players

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 14 Apr 2009 9:49 User comments (6)

Sony prices first touchscreen Walkman players Sony has announced the price of its first ever touchscreen Walkman media players, part of the NX-X1000 series.
The NW-X1050, which will hit Japan on April 25th, will sell for $400 USD and has 16GB of built-in flash memory while its higher capacity brother, the NW-X1060, will sell for $500 USD and will include 32GB of memory.

Each player supports Wi-Fi and will allow playback of YouTube videos and the downloading of podcasts. Also of note, the players have integrated FM and 1Seg TV tuners and will allow recording of content if broadcasters support it.

The media players have nice OLED touchscreens and for audio support AAC, MP3 and WMA. For video files, MPEG-4, H.264 and WMV are supported.

EX earphones are bundled with each player and offer integrated noise reduction.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

114.4.2009 22:39

Sony never did make a good digital media player of any type.
The NetMD series was dumb. The batteries never lasted long and the UMD style mini-disc it used and how the unit itself writes to disc (not smart).
The coin-looking thing that resembles my Canadian Toonie, not too bright.
So to finish my rant on Sony's new Walkman (I think they should drop the 'Walkman' subname as it might make genius-challenged people think they can put their old cassettes in it (that's right, I said it 'Cassettes')). The body and earphones are sooooo F.U.G.L.Y., the price point for the storage is outrageous and audio/video is poor (they need to offer .ogg and or .flac support and more video codecs like Xvid and Open Source formats)
In conlcusion, I'll stick with Apple (price range is easier on the wallet than the new 'Walkman' series') for what they offer for audio/video support and Sandisc's Sansa series for the .ogg and .flac support.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Apr 2009 @ 10:40

215.4.2009 00:31

Sony has always been proud of their HIGH priced merchandise.

315.4.2009 02:23

Originally posted by thebox:
Sony never did make a good digital media player of any type.
The NetMD series was dumb. The batteries never lasted long and the UMD style mini-disc it used and how the unit itself writes to disc (not smart).
The coin-looking thing that resembles my Canadian Toonie, not too bright.
So to finish my rant on Sony's new Walkman (I think they should drop the 'Walkman' subname as it might make genius-challenged people think they can put their old cassettes in it (that's right, I said it 'Cassettes')). The body and earphones are sooooo F.U.G.L.Y., the price point for the storage is outrageous and audio/video is poor (they need to offer .ogg and or .flac support and more video codecs like Xvid and Open Source formats)
In conlcusion, I'll stick with Apple (price range is easier on the wallet than the new 'Walkman' series') for what they offer for audio/video support and Sandisc's Sansa series for the .ogg and .flac support.
You offer valid arguments, but what I think it comes down to for most people is... ipod touch = cool, everything else = crappy immatations.

415.4.2009 08:06

WTF, an iPod Touch is cheaper and it's overpriced...

I wanna get an iPod Touch someday but they deffinitely don't have enough memory for the price... This thing is only worse :S

It looks too much like a Walkman cellphone too.

515.4.2009 11:13

The iPod Touch may look expensive if you look at its limited space. But keep in mind that flash memory capacity is much more expensive than equivalent HDD capacity. Though I'm sure that a competitor (Archos maybe) out there has something better at an equivalent price.

Can't say I'm interested in these PMPs. I really don't see the point of portable video. I'd rather wait until I get home to watch the video on a bigger screen uninterrupted and without distractions. My DS on the other hand doesn't feel like a portable, watered-down version of the home console experience. It has it's own distinct style and it's so suited to pick-up-and-play. Nor does my portable audio feel like a watered-down experience because my ears can't tell the difference between well-encoded MP3 and lossless audio when using headphones.

613.5.2009 06:00
blueskyd
Inactive

Sound very nice, sony's consumer electronics is famous with its good quality and durable , I love it very much!But this unit is a bit expensive , if it can be more cheaper , I will buy it!

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
7 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive